1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Boot from USB issue on HP Pavilion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toribor, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toribor

Toribor Thread Starter

I have a laptop I picked up as a spare from a friend. It turns out everything is okay but her hard drive and since I'm too cheap to buy a hard drive I'm trying to use a spare 200gb 3.5" IDE drive I have through USB. When I begin booting into Windows however, it bluescreens and requires a restart. It gives me a stop message (0x0000007B) which I found out means it is have trouble booting from the drive.

The laptop is an HP Pavilion zv6000 and the hard drive is a Western Digital (If that makes a difference)

What do I need to do to boot windows from this device? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

First of all, XP will only boot on the chipset it was installed to, so you can't take an XP installation and move it elsewhere. It's possible that this can be fixed by running a repair installation over the top of the current one on the machine that will use it.

3. Toribor

Toribor Thread Starter

I installed XP to the IDE drive connected through USB on the HP Pavilion I am trying to get it to boot to. It was a formatted drive and the windows installer picked everything up and installed okay. I even see the windows logo for a few seconds before it scraps it and blue screens on me. It seems to just not want to load windows from the external drive due to some issue communicating with the hardware. Is there a way to fix this setting, upload drivers or should I try flashing the BIOS maybe?

4. Toribor

Toribor Thread Starter

Actually, you can scrap this post as I have recently found out that the computer has more issues than I had initially thought. Looks like the board may be bad, but in any case it isn't in a shape for me to worry about booting windows XP from a USB external. The problems aren't related in any way, so the thermal issues don't seem to have anything to do with the problem I was having but it's safe to say I'm not worried about my previous problem. Thank you for the advice in any case.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice