1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Boot loop problem. BSOD c000021a Fatal System Error. Please help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rockitout, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rockitout

rockitout Thread Starter

I have a home built computer. Windows 7 64 bit, 8 Gigs Ram. As of two days ago I can't boot into windows. I get to the colored windows logo then it restarts. Same thing in safe mode. I tried a system repair and it fails each time. Tried last known configuration and that didn't work either. I'm running out of ideas. The BSOD reads:

Stop: c000021a {fatal system error}
    The verification of a knowndll failed. system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x000012f (0x0090d890 0x00000000).
    The system has been shut down.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

STOP 0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED

Most often caused by a corupt or absent winlogon.exe or CRSS service such that the machine cannot guarantee security. It can also happen if file permissions are changed so that the system has no access to needed files and folders.

But most often it is probably due to malware infestation. You probably better go to the Viruses & Malware forum for help on this one to see what they can come up with.

This is why backups are a good thing. If you had a backup, you'd be back in business by now.

3. rockitout

rockitout Thread Starter

I'm thinking it isn't malware because I just recently scanned/cleaned the computer. I know it is possible but I'm wondering if it had something to do with a Tuesday Windows Update. Are you able to help me diagnose it or should I post in the Malware/virus forum?

4. rockitout

rockitout Thread Starter

I'll go ahead and post it in the malware/virus forum.

5. ppecher

ppecher

Is this you?

I got the same error just yesterday just after rebooting from Windows update. I think malware or hardware as the root cause is unlikely. Perhaps some third party software or driver interrupted the update and then csrss.exe or winlogon.exe got corrupted.

I have Win7 64bit with PGP disk encryption, 8GB RAM.

Safe mode, last working mode, etc. do not work (they result in the same BSOD right on Windows bootup).

I think there are four options for me:
    1. Boot from PGP recovery 10.0.2.1.3, decrypt, and then boot from another recovery tool (like Knoppix) and backup files to an external HDD or USB flash.
    2. Boot from PGP recovery 10.0.2.1.3, decrypt, and then repair/override the Win7 system files and still access all the old files.
    3. Backup the HDD image, decrypt it, and then load it onto a separate partition (to retrieve files) - the reformat the main drive partition and reinstall Win7.
    4. Encrypt a new HDD with the same PGP version, then hook up and unlock the old, nonfuncitonal HDD, and then transfer the important files over.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Please post in your own thread unless you have help to offer for this one.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice