1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Boot mgr missing on hard disk - No Op system installed yet.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lskin01, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lskin01

lskin01 Thread Starter

Re: "Boot mgr missing press ctrl + alt + delete to continue". My friend recently plugged my 120gb hardrive into his external disk reader, right clicked on the drive when shown in "my computer" then clicked "Format" to clear the disk. I then plugged it back into my PC to reinstall Windows XP onto a clean disk only to find that an error message appeared reading "Boot mgr missing press ctrl + alt + delete to continue". I have pressed these keys yet nothing is happening. I have tried to boot from the windows disk but obviously it cant boot as "Boot mgr" is missing. Is their any way I can install windows or the Boot mgr file onto this disk or is it now a 120GB storage device. PLEASE HELP. Also if any one out there can help please use simple terms to explain as I am far from computer literate.

Many thanks
    lskin01

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You should still be able to boot from the Windows Disk. Bootmgr was stored on the hard disk until the drive was formatted. It is called by a few bits of code, also on the hard disk. Without it you cannot boot from that disk, but of course that's irrelevant as XP is no longer located on the disk anyway!

However the BIOS (Basic Input Output System, the first thing that loads, manages your hardware, and chooses what to boot from) is not located on the hard disk. Therefore when you turn your computer on you should still get a screen which tells you to press various buttons (which will depend on your computer, F1, F2, F12, and Del are common) to access the bios menu. From that menu you can tell the computer to boot from the CD instead of the hard disk. And since the whole system is intact on your CD, you can use that to install onto the hard disk.

I don't know about using simple terms, but I'll do my best to explain the terms I use.

3. lskin01

lskin01 Thread Starter

What can I say ENT you are the saviour of my PC and the expander of my PC knowledge. Many thanks for your advice it worked 1st time. Now I just have to see if I can download the drivers for the motherboard (Fujitsu Siemens D1740) so I can get sound, mouse and a few other glitchy bits sorted. I don't suppose you know of a free Driver scanner/Downloader thats available on the Net without having to pay. Got too many kids to allow me to be this frivilous with my hard earned sterling...Lol. Once again many thanks to you and the Tech Guy web site.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Wait for Ent, because It is not right for me to interrupt on a thread that you only posted on 3 minutes ago.
    Do not use any of the driver scanners, they are generally unreliable.
    Go to the Fujitsu Siemens site.

Ent may not come back to you, as you have marked it solved, so he has probably unsubscribed from the thread.
    Here is the link
    http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/support/downloads.html

It lists the 17 series and then the 1740 as D1740-A. Check that is correct before downloading.

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Ha, interrupt away Macboatmaster.
    As Macboatmaster has beaten me to saying, driver scanners shouldn't be an option under consideration for getting appropriate drivers.
    Your best bet is to go to the computer Manufacturer's website, Fujitsu in this case, with your computer's serial number. They should provide all drivers free of charge.
    Be sure to get ones that work with XP. Failing that follow the order here.

6. lskin01

lskin01 Thread Starter

Ent and Macboatmaster I really appreciate the help. Thanks guys.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!