1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Boot option screen missing, I lost my windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wanted, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wanted

wanted Thread Starter

hi all my frineds her
    i got problem today that cause my xp system disable.
    i got 2 system in my computer win98 and windows xp i change the performance of the system tools and i changed the time to chose win98 or xp from 30 sec to 0 sec. now i can,t enter to xp system becase became fast to chose one
    pleas help me :confused:

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Wanted
    It is kind of frustrating when this happens but the problem can be corrected quite easily. There is a file called Boot.ini which I believe is hidden and read only so you will have to change the attributes before any corrections can be made.
    Go to control panel\folder options and set to show hidden files, click apply then ok.
    Next do a search for boot.ini
    Once found right click it and select properties. Remove the read only check mark and click apply then ok.
    Now right click the boot.ini file again and select open with notepad.
    Once open locate the line that reads:
    timeout=
    This line should currently read 0 (zero) and look like Timeout=0
    Change the zero to whatever amount of seconds you wish the boot loader to appear before timeout. 5 seconds is usually sufficient but you are allowed up to 999.
    After changing it click file up top of notepad and select save.
    Set file attribute back to read only and change the show hidden files back to normal setting.

Restart system and your menu should appear.

Let us know if that helps you.

Dave

3. wanted

wanted Thread Starter

thankx my frined but i found easier way to do that
    start>run>c:/boot.ini
    thanks

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Wanted
    Yup that way too! :D :D ;)

Sometimes I take people on the long road since it is less traveled and offers more to learn. :)

Take care and will consider matter solved.

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice