1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Boot Question

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by BillC, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BillC

BillC Thread Starter

Greetings all - it has been awhile since I've been here. I'll need to help more in the future.

I have a Dell XPS 8500 with an i7 processor and 24GB of Ram. It came with a 2TB hard drive and a 256 SSD drive on the motherboard. I installed Win 7 Ultimate on the SSD and used it as my primary drive leaving the 2TB "C" dive for storage. The C drive does have Win 7 installed as well.

Now I replaced the C drive with a Samsung EVO 850 SSD on which I installed Win 8.1 - works great. To get another SATA III connection I installed a PCIe internal 2 port SATA III to which I connected the 2TB hard drive which I plan to just use as storage.

Now here is my quandary - after adding the 2TB drive back, all three drives work but the boot time on my main "C" drive (Samsung EVO 850) has slowed and I can not figure out why. Somehow the 2TB drive has slowed it down.

Forgive me for such a trivial question but does anyone have a suggestion as to the cause of the slow down? Might it be in my BIOS? I do have the "fast boot" option checked on the SSD with win 8.1. I'm a speed junkie - what can I say?

Thank you,

BillC

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

In order to be ready to go all drives have to be set as do all icons on the desktop as well so adding the drive especially on pci probably adds a little time to the bootup but should not be all that noticeable. I would look at the psu. Is it old? What make and model is it? You are aware they do degrade right? Adding the drive and the card may have been the "straw" so to speak.

3. BillC

BillC Thread Starter

Hi Rich - Actually I was thinking that the BIOS or psu could be the problem. I believe you are correct - I need to upgrade my power supply. It is only 450 watts I think and is at least a couple years old. I did not know they degrade - news to me. Even if the power supply is not the issue, it would not hurt to upgrade anyway. For all I'm running, 450 w does seem inadequate.

Thank you for taking the time to help me on this rather minor issue. I'm just accustomed to a 15 second boot! Spoiled I am.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Any time BillC and yes you are right, whether it helps or not it makes sense to upgrade the Psu anyway.
    I generally recommend Seasonic or XFX and where I don't see a pci-X video card mentioned 500 watt one of either of those would be fine.

5. BillC

BillC Thread Starter

Hi Rich - I do have AMD HD7770-PCIE-2GB-CO Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express PCIe DVI video card the size of a VHS tape. I was thinking more in the lines of 600watts or maybe 650. I've been looking at Corsair 600, Antec TP-650, Startech 630 among others. I must admit I'm no expert when it comes to power supplies. I called DEll - they do not offer another option.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

550 would be fine if you get Seasonic or XFX , 650 watt for those you mention as they are poor quality and I would not recommend them either. The Corsair used to be good with the exception of the CX Builder Series which has always been junk sorry to say. Antec HCG is another good one for 550. Enermax are good quality imho. Antec TPC is fine also as it is made by Seasonic and a 550 would be fine. The Corsair CX600 is made by CWT which again is a poor quality maker. Hope this helps.

7. BillC

BillC Thread Starter

Thank you ever so much for your guidance. I was beginning to think power supplies were like refrigerators - how do you know which 22" is best? Hotpoint, GE, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Kenmore, etc? Except for the shelving arrangement, they all seem to be very similar except of course for Sub Zero. I always thought Corsair and Antec were both good.

Google and I will do more research today.

Thanks again

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah the problem is most of the brands you see don't make anything and if they split out their manufacturing and then change mfgrs all the time it is very hard to keep up with. Antec and Corsair do not make much of anything they sell themselves. The mfgrs we see who make most of them are really poor such as Hec, CWT, FSP, Delta, Sirtec and they are all low quality makers.

9. BillC

BillC Thread Starter

I'm exhausted from looking. I think I like the Antec 600 best then XFX 550 , SeaSonic550 and Roswill 550. I think any of these would work fine I'm just making sure which will fit!

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

No Rosewills please . That is Newegg brand and we have no idea who makes them and with a Psu the mfgr is way more important than the wattage. I don't see any well made Antec 600. There is an HCG 620 and True Power Classic 620 that are OK from Antec. Neo Eco 620 Antec is also OK. The only Antec 600 I see is a VP series and that is awful made by FSP.
    You will find usually the warranty is better on Seasonic and XFX than anything Antec has.

11. Blu_86

Blu_86

Yet these PSU's drive 98% of todays power supplies on computers running as of now.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

So true Blu most of them out there are low quality. Not to forget up and coming junk makers Flextronics and Chicony and BTW folks every one of those listed in Blus post and mine all make for Corsair which once was only Seasonic quality!
    And not to forget also Andyson, making junk for RaidMax also.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice