Solved: Boot sequence

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

24giovanni

Banned
I have a duel boot system on one of my computers. It runs both red hat linux 8.0 and w2k server. Upon boot up, it always asks which system I want to access which is normal. The question I have is there away to switch the order in which they are listed? Currently, I have RH linux first and w2k second. I want to reverse it but I am not sure how. Is there a simple way to do this? If so, how? I appreciate any help.

TIA

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
If you are using grub, edit grub.conf. If you are using lilo, edit lilo.conf

24giovanni

Banned
what is the path to those files. I am new to linux and what do I have to edit in those/that file?

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Most of your cofiguration files are usually in /etc. Learn to use the commands to find files.

[[email protected] test]$ whereis grub.conf
grub: /sbin/grub /etc/grub.conf /usr/share/grub /usr/share/man/man8/grub.8.gz
[[email protected] test]$ whereis lilo.conf
lilo: /sbin/lilo /etc/lilo.conf /usr/share/man/man8/lilo.8.gz
[[email protected] test]$

[[email protected] test]# find / -name grub.conf
/boot/grub/grub.conf
/etc/grub.conf
[[email protected] test]# find / -name lilo.conf
/etc/lilo.conf

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
24giovanni said:
I see a file called lilo.conf.anaconda. would that be it?
I dont know. From what I just read on google, this means you are not using lilo as your boot loader. If you were using lilo, it would just be named lilo.conf. You are most likely using Grub.

24giovanni

Banned
I see grub.conf. I type ed grub.conf but the only thing it returned was the following 601. what should i do now?

Ed is the scary man's editor, for he who can map out 100 line text files in his head. Stupid people and their eidedic memories.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online