1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Boot up issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jferdig, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

hi guys... k im having issues with my system.... problem started when i ran avasti and it said i need to repair windows xp pro.. so i tried to do that.. and now im in a kettle of fish... i managed i think to do a total reformat.. not happy but ok.. but i keep getting "floppy diskette seek failure press f1.. or f2..."

so im still not getting a full install of windows xp again.... and when i press f1 it repeats the windows install...

Please advise...

jon

2. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

Specs please, make, model etc.

3. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

dell optiplex gx620... using windows xp pro... i think i got it to finally do a "full" install.. but now im having problems with it finding my plug and play router... router is good... works on other computer and roku... just cant figure out how to get computer to recognize router.. powered up and down a few times,.. unplugged check ethernet cord.. all looks good.. and it worked b4 i reformated.... any ideas?? oh router is the att uverse... NVG510...... (which is supposed to be a piece of doggie poo if i read the reviews correctly).... oh well.. any help is appreciated...

4. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

Are you connected to the router using ethernet or wireless?

If wireless, can you try ethernet?

5. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

its only on ethernet.. no wifi on desktops.... i know router is good.... have other computer hard wired into it and am using wifi for roku....

6. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

Check device manager - see if any devices (such as ethernet) are marked as having no drivers.

7. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

i did.. and all are ??? so im not understanding why computer doesnt sense new hardware....

8. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

paste this in a cmd prompt on the problem machine and paste the output test from ipconfig.txt into a reply.

ipconfig /all "%USERPROFILE%\desktop\ipconfig.txt"

9. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

Hmm... i've tried that ipconfig and im getting msg back that it's not recognized or incomplete.. i've tried it with spaces.. without spaces... with caps.. without caps... same result...

10. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

My mistake, I left out the redirection character. Try this:

ipconfig /all > "%USERPROFILE%\desktop\ipconfig.txt"

11. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

okay.. i tried again.. am i to be in root directory? cuz that doesn't do anything.. i just get my cmd prompt back...

12. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

Also, does anything show up in Network Connections?

13. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

It creates a file on your desktop called ipconfig.txt
    Paste the contents into a reply.

14. jferdig

jferdig Thread Starter

okay.. i got it to work and i got an icon on my desktop.. i opened it and all i get is..

windows IP configuration

nothing more and i've also checked my network connections to try to install... nada... my other computer has under devices... network connection and under that.. broadband netxtreme 57xx gigabit....which i dont see on my problem computer so when i called att they said that this nvg510 is a plug and play so i don't know

15. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

Can you attach a screenshot of device manager in the ethernet area, with the ethernet properties?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice