1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: boot up problem same as Lumarie & Rainforest123

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by arranskye, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

Hi, Root cause found: Registry is corrupt‏ . This post pretty much defines my problem, (Desktop pc. Win.7 64 bit) and the error codes are the same. however I do have the recovery discs required.

I think my problems were caused by my grandkids switching off before shutting down properly although I have had a few minor problems since svs pk 3 was installed by micorsoft.

Got so fed up with Windows live photo gallery, I uninstalled all of Win. live essentials. Thats when the boot up problems began.

Tried all the usual checks and repairs available but I wasnt too worried because I did not shut down the pc much. In fact only when I attempted another "repair," then I shut down to test boot up.

Gets the windows starting screen and then it went into the start up repair screen. When I selected "Start window normally" a black screen appeared & nothing else happened, however after rebooting again and selecting the same option windows would start normally. safe mode also started ok. That was until today. After reading the excellent posts between rainforest123 & Lumarie. (brilliant absolutely brilliant, very very impressed with both of you.) I decided to have a go at fixing it properly. Inserted the 1st recovery disc and got HP recovery manager. Followed the instructions but never got further than the 1st disc. There were no further instuctions on screen and it never requested the next disc.

After several attempts decided to leave it and follow your instructions instead, but now pc will only go into start up repair screen and windows wont start. Tried hitting F8 to get into safe mode but this didnt work either. Eventually I went into "bios set up" to see if I could find a way into safe mode. Noticed BIOS text screed was disabled so I enabled that, closed the bios screen and hey presto windows started normally.

Could that have been part of the problem. I dare not shut down incase it wont start again as I need a lot more info before I try recovery again. I was hoping for a repair instead of a clean install.

One last thing. After the problems began but before today, Windows appeared to start normally on a reboot as i know this happened several times following windows updates.

Sorry this is so long and involved but Im a senior just trying to learn. Rainforest you are amazing not only in your knowledge but also in the patient, polite and clear way that you present it. Thank you.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Support.

Service pack 3 of what?

The most recent SP of W7 is SP1.

Please run the Tech Guy System Info tool.
    http://forums.techguy.org/site-comments-suggestions/1032709-where-tsg-information-tool.html

On which date did the problem begin? Occasionally the exact date is important.

When did the computer last work well? What changed? Perhaps a hardware or software install or removal; W7 update [ check W7's update history ]; an update to your anti malware or other program?

Would you describe yourself as a beginning, intermediate or advanced computer user?

Your problem may or may not becaused by the registry.

Please be specific as to the steps you followed.

Do you a real W7 DVD? Do you know how to restore your computer to factory settings?

RF123

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please provide information about the minor problems.

When did the computer last work well?

RF123

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

start > control panel
    upper right; view by; set to "large icons"
    open "windows update"
    upper left, you will find a link to the Windows update history

Screen Shot
    http://www.7tutorials.com/how-use-snipping-tool

Save the file, I suggest .jpg / .jpeg type

Return to this thread
    use "go advanced"
    left click "manage attachments"
    left click "browse"
    locate the file you created using the snipping tool
    left click "upload"
    left click "close window"

Left click "submit reply"

RF123

5. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2013 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset, 782 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 292364 MB, Free - 220312 MB; D: Total - 12777 MB, Free - 2318 MB;
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, ETON
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Disabled

Thanks for your fast response. sorry I will have to leave the reply and details requested until tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

OK! :)

until tomorrow, then.
    (y)

RF123

7. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

Hi RF,
    First let me say I am from England Uk so our time zones will be difference.

Minor problems began last July when windows installed Live essentials. PC operation, & shut down a little slower,screen freezing, and IE 9 failing to work as it is at the moment. I use IE but keep AOL as my home page. More frequent messages "AOL is not responding". I do not think these are connected to the present problems.

I think these occurred around 27th December when my G.Kids downloaded Imesh a P2P music website. I think they tried to uninstall it before I saw it and made mistakes, then switched off the pc at the power switch on the tower before it had written off the files as in a normal shut down.

I had difficulty uninstalling Imesh because it downloaded a "Torch" browser and an "Emotions" app with it, but eventually managed it. I then did a complete uninstall of Windows live essentials and used C Cleaner to get rid of any fragments.

The problem remained so I used all the utilities I had to try to find the cause. C Cleaner, Install repair,System Restore, HP Recovery, Clean up disc. Chk Disc. AVG tune up HP & Windows health checks etc. At this point I thought it was a virus infected by Imesh. Eventually in the course of this a Root Kit error text appeared. Sorry, cant remember how or where I found this, possibly in the events log, but it appeared to be related to AVG. I then saw that AVG was not working so I did a repair via windows add & remove programmes and AVG was then ok, but the boot up problems remained.

I rarely download app. or software of any kind and I frequently use utilities to keep my PC clean. Avg, Windows, & malwarebytes all download automatic updates.

The PC was working perfectly until July when windows downloaded the bundle that included Live Essentials, but had no Boot up problems prior to 27th Dec 2012.

Dont quite know what to rate myself. been using PC's since 1985 (IBM's, no mouse, no graphics no sound lol) Basically data input & analysis on Company operational and financial software for the last 20 years.

In 2005 I was given a PC running Win ME. It had been used with internet access for 2 years with no firewall or antivirus apps. Lots of bugs. spent weeks cleaning it up and got it working ok. Then installed a new HD, more memory, a wireless card, and XP home and flashed the Bios. This was all done with the help of a guy on the Cnet forums. and thats about the extent of my experience as my circumstances changed and I did not have the time to spend on the computer. I learned quite a lot during that period but have forgotten much of it now. Self taught with most of my learning coming from excellent forums like this one.
    Its interesting and challenging and I enjoy it despite the never ending frustrations.

I have 3 recovery discs downloaded from my PC within days of purchase.

I have never restored a PC to factory settings.
    the windows/Hp instructions for these things always appear to be absolutley clear until one gets stuck, then suddently they're double dutch, at least to the inexperienced and unfortunately I'm not the brightest star in the sky. I'M ok at following instructions.

I did not action any of the instruction you gave to Lumarie. Just followed the links, read them, printed them and tried to absorb and learn.

I hope I have answered all your questions and that you can make sense of the replies.

Thanks again for all your help.

8. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

Hi,

Followed the instructions: Update History & Screen Shot
    start > control panel
    upper right; view by; set to "large icons"
    open "windows update"
    upper left, you will find a link to the Windows update history

got as far as viewing the large icons but could not find anything relating to windows updates or any links to windows update history.

Sorry.

9. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

Found the snipping tool but cant take picture of windows updates until i find them. I did take pictures of the events log that may relate to the boot up problems so I will go to advanced to send them to you. Cheers

10. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

Events logs attached as discussed attached.

Attached Files:

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

sp3 of what, please?

On your keyboard, look for a key labeled "print screen", "prt scn" or some variation

start > programs > all programs > accessories > Paint

To create a screen shot, the old fashioned way:
    When something appears on your screen of which you want a visual record:
    Tap the print screen key
    Open Paint
    Left click "edit"
    Left click "paste"
    NOTE: In W7 & Vista, a lot of menu bars have been disabled.
    If you don't see "edit', RIGHT click a blank section of the white canva
    Left click "paste"
    Single left click in the whtie area
    Then use the keyboard shortcut: hold down the ctrl key; tap the "v" key
    Release the ctrl key

OR, upper left there is some rectangular object [ see green line on attached .jpg ]

You can use the eraser [ see brownish line on attached .jpg ]

Save the file by left clicking the rectangular icon, upper left, green
    left click "jpeg"
    Name it something related to the task at hand

NOTE the location to which you saved it.

Return here
    Use "go advanced"
    Left click "manage attachments"
    Browse to the .jpeg
    Upload the .jpeg by left clicking "upload"
    Left click "close window"
    Left click "submit reply".

RF123

Attached Files:

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

When I opened the event viewer torch browser .zip, it contains .wps type file / files.

I don't have a program to open .wps files.

RF123

13. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

found windows update and took snip shot attached

Attached Files:

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

15. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

Im Sorry RS, File extentions are my worst enemy. I have very little understanding of or how to change a file extension on any type of document, picture etc. used the Zip because your file manager suggests it.

It also said it accepts doc files so i saved to my documents but your file manager would not accept it.

Its after midnight here so I will have to go and try again tomorrow. Good night.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice