1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: boot up problem same as Lumarie & Rainforest123

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by arranskye, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please follow the steps I provided, using "print screen" & "Paint"

Later.

RF123

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

The actually IS a reason for the questions I ask.

RF123

3. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

HI,

Event log via snipping.tool. Will also try to send by "print screen" & Paint incase you cannot open this. I saved the snip as jpeg

Attached Files:

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

No problem, Margaret. The snipping tool maneuver worked. (y)

Do you use a program called Torch? If so, please provide a link to it.

Go you use Google Chrome?

Which browser do you use?

RF123

5. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

Event log via paint attached.

Attached Files:

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

In your initial post of this thread, you note "svs pk 3 was installed by micorsoft."

Service pack 3 of what?

RF123

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

8. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

Whoops, didnt get your reply until after I sent this. never mind. good practice.

Torch downloaded itself with the p2p site Imesh that was downloaded by my G-Kids. Never used it. Did not even notice it was there until I tried to uninstall Imesh. Eventually I realised I had to disable Torch to stop it running before uninstalling. Uninstalled Torch then Imesh uninstalled ok.

yes I use Google Chrome

Use IE as it opens my aol home page with access to my email. Use Google & Bing to browse the 'net

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

When did you uninstall Torch?

RF123

10. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

When did you uninstall torch: Started trying about 28th Dec and finished 3rd jan. Took me a while to sort out what to do.

I think in the end I had to re-install Imesh. to repair it to be able to uninstall.

Nothing on the Torch website to assist uninstall but found this:

http://www.uninstallerfix.com/unins...l-errors-torch-browser-1-0-0-uninstaller.html

Sorry dont know how to do links. There were a couple of these sites offering tools to fix this specific problem, one of which purports to be a specific "Windows or microsoft" tool for the job.

Not sure how to proceed as obviously torch does not appear on the "Add & Remove" programme list.

Do you think it is safe to use one of these tools??? After using the tool they require registry entry to remove the last bits.

(Thought C Cleaner was supposed to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I too think that this Torch browser caused the problems, no doubt exacerbated by the kids forcing shutdown when their efforts to uninstall went wrong.

System restore point. Do you mean just to set a restore point or actually action a system restore.

Again many thanks for your time and knowledge. margaret

11. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

Sorry forgot to say i have to go now, get some work done, walk the dogs etc. I will get back on as soon as I can. Thanks for your help margaret

12. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

Hi,

Sorry to be a pain but wondered if you would advise if I should use one of these tools to try to remove Torch from the registry.

My system automatically sets restore points. There has been one set for today & yesterday.

Thanks

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

Were it MY system, which it is not, I would contact Torch.

Registry cleaners generally cause more problems than they solve.

Do you have a restore point from before the visit by the youngsters?

CAUTION: Some programs may not work properly, or may not work at all, if you select a system restore point created before said program was installed.

How do you feel about:
    backing up your data;
    locating all of your program install disks & downloaded program files;
    locating your W7 disk & product key;
    locating drivers for your computer hardware;
    staying inside, away from all of that cold weather?

If you are up for it, the above, create a screen shot of your device manager, with every catagory "+" expanded so you know the devices installed.

Also, make a copy of your C:windows folder. You might need more than 1 DVD.

RF123

14. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

CAUTION: Some programs may not work properly, or may not work at all, if you select a system restore point created before said program was installed. WOW !! This is news to me, thought the whole purpose of restore was to go back to a time before the problems began when the system was working ok. Am I misunderstanding you ????

I tried several restores but to no avail.What I have found strange is that in XP I think you were permitted to input the date you wished to restore back to. I may be wrong in this however, I'm pretty certain that in XP restore dates were available as far back as a month or more, whereas in Win 7 the restore points are set in stone and dont go back more that a week or so.

So sorry, no restore point prior to kids now, although I am fairly certain that at one stage I was able to restore back to 19th Dec. (ie pre kids) I am however beginning to doubt my ability to really understand System Restore on Win 7.

Yes Definately up for it: If you are. Wouldnt have a clue on my own.

1) backed up my data a few days ago. (6 dvd discs)

2) locating all of your program install disks & downloaded program files; PC came with Win 7 installed. Only have the 3 recovery discs I burned shortly after purchase. Haven't downloaded very much other than AVG Malwarebytes, c cleaner and a couple of utility apps. Would need lots of help on this.

3) Win 7 pre installed so no disc and product key just about readable.

4) locating drivers for your computer hardware; Hmmmm Might just be able to manage that but if i cant you will hear me shouting OK

5)staying inside, away from all of that cold weather? Yep, really up for that despite serious objections from the dogs. They hate computers .

Right screen shot of device mgm coming up. need to buy new discs tomorrow to copy C Folder.

Wont be able to do a lot tomorrow: said kids treating me to see Les Mis. (Wonder why?????????)

As always. Many thanks margaret

15. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

device manager expanded as requested.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice