1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: boot up problem same as Lumarie & Rainforest123

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by arranskye, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arranskye

arranskye Thread Starter

Copy C Windows folder Is this left click computer, expand compaq C Are we talking all the programme files, + programme files (86) + millions & millions of stuff on there.

hope its selective or the wrong folder. There must be another C folder. Where please.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Perhaps this will help.

You need the drivers. They are somewhere in C:\Windows; might ONLYbe C:\Windows\System32\drivers; but they could be in other locations. I can not speculate with any certainty. Before I re-format, I clone my hard drive or copy my important to flash drives. Some people prefer optical disks.

OOPS! I just saw this post.

System restore is not designed to backup your computer. SR is designed to help you return to a functioning version of Windows. Hopefully, all of the non Microsoft programs, and some Microsoft programs such as WMP & IE may be adversely affected by using System Restore. I think of it as a poor person's reformat & re install. Atleast I can get to my data, if I haven't backed it up since my last full backup.

"the restore points are set in stone and dont go back more that a week or so."
    NOPE. You determine the amount of space you want to allow SR to use. When SR is full [ has used up all of the space [ # of GB, as a %age of HDD [ hard disk drive ] space ] you have designated, SR deletes the oldest SR point, or points for the amount of space [ # of GB ] SR needs. SR will automatically create restore points using a system that I have never understood. So before I obtain W7 updates, or update any program, or install or remove a program or piece of hardware, I create an SR point. Occasionally, I will also clone my computer. Just in case. :)

There are many tutorials available for the use of SR. I like the tutorials at seven forums. I'm sure that you can find a learning resource that works for you.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

I can point you to tutorials & I can answer questions, but I am unable to compose step by step instructions any better than web pages which I have read or viewed. I will help you, but I am unable to do it for you.

For drivers, check the disks that came the computer. Check the invoice for a parts list. Go to the support / downloads site for your computer and / or computer components, if some items were not installed by the computer manufacturer.
    I'll help if you become perplexed.

RF123

Attached Files:

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

a:
    Re the dev mgr attachment: Good. Now you have a record of the drivers installed. Prob > 90% of the time, the driver installed correctly corresponds with the physical device and Windows can happily converse with the driver & the device.
    :)

Keep the image backed up in multiple places. That's the advice I give to my friends regarding all of their important data. Someone at this forum previously had, & perhaps still has a profile signature regarding the importance of data backup to multiple destinations. I agree with that philosophy.

RF123

4. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice