1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bootdisk.com NTFSBOOT.exe

Discussion in 'Networking' started by urwethe, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. urwethe

urwethe Thread Starter

Help!

I need to Ghost my laptop to a shared drive on my networked Desktop. I created a CDROM boot disk from Bootdisk.com (NTFSBOOT.exe). I do not have a floppy drive. I created the CD ok and can boot up. I can see the A: drive and the C: drive. I can't run NET USE because it says I can't run this in dos mode, and there is no net.exe in the A: virtual drive. I am a novice here, I need to do something like "net use //bobdesktop/shared" so I can connect to my desktop before running Ghost.exe to do the backup.

Thanks for your help

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why do you NTFS drivers for GHOST? GHOST will run from a standard MS-DOS boot and backup/restore NTFS drives.

Truthfully, I'd consider moving to a modern backup package, I use Acronis True Image for network backups. Create the boot CD, boot it and access the network. :) You can pick it up for $30 on a downloaded purchase from www.newegg.com

3. urwethe

urwethe Thread Starter

Thanks! I will take your advice. The problem is that I had a rogue svchost.exe that would not go away. I would keep on chewing up memory until I got a memory error. I just reinstalled the entire drive. So I plan on imaging my laptop every other night and then I can restore the freakin' thing again if this comes up.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're welcome. I have an automated True Image backup once a week, and I backup my data every day. Keeps me out of hot water for this kind of issue. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice