1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Booting a PC from mains electric socket

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Chelonian, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chelonian

Chelonian Thread Starter

My friend boots her PC simply by switching on the power at the mains electric socket to which the PC's power cable is connected. She doesn't have to press a power button on the PC or do anything with keyboard or mouse. The PC boots into Windows. She shuts it down in the conventional way: Start>Shutdown. Normally she then switches the power off again at the mains electric socket. The OS on her PC is Windows XP Media Center. The PC was bought in a box from a discount retailer and hasn't been modified at all.

I'd like to configure my PC so that I just "switch it on" at the mains electric socket without having to press the power button on the PC. I assumed that it would be simple to configure the PC to do this so I asked advice on another reputable forum. Basically I've been told that it's not possible to do what I've done and seen done on my friend's PC. If it's any help this is the URL of my post on that forum:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=379323&forumid=1

Clearly it is possible to boot a PC simply by switching on its power supply at the mains electric socket because my friend has done so on her PC for about three years now. I'd just like to know how it's done. Sadly my friend can offer no advice because as she says "Who cares? It's just a computer. I switch it on and off."

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. itsjusme

itsjusme

You would have to make changes to bios settings to do this, this would not be a windows setting. In Bios setup, look under "Power Management", look for a heading that says something like "State after power failure" or something similar, change it to restart after power failure and then when you turn on the power the bios will see it as a power interruption and reboot the computer. Not all Bios have this option, your friends obviously does, yours may not.

3. bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal

Usually in the BIOS options there is a setting on what to do with your computer after a power failure. I think it is called AC Power Loss Restart. There are 3 options in there. Enable, Disable and Previous State. You would want your set to enabled. That way whenever the power is sent to the powersupply (and portions of the motherboard) it will turn the system on automatically.

Basically this setting is normally for when the power goes out, it will tell your computer what to do when it comes back up. Essentially, when you are turning off the mains, the computer thinks it has lost power, so when you set it to enabled, it should come on automagically when you turn the mains back on.

Good Luck
    Jeremy

EDIT: Looks like itsjusme beat me to it

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Thread Starter

Thank you both for your advice.

I'd certainly like to be able to boot my PC from the mains power switch. It seems to be much more convenient than also having to press a power button on a system case, especially when the system case is remote from the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Are there any good reasons why booting this way isn't more common?

5. bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal

Me personally, I have my computer on all the time, but I know a lot of people who don't turn off the main power to the computer. They just do the shut down and let all the devices go into a powersave mode.

It should just be a matter of checking your bios for an option similar to what itsjusme and I posted. Most likely it will be under some power-management sub-menu.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice