1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Booting from old disks

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sunstroke, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunstroke

sunstroke Thread Starter

My AMD Athlon based computer died, but my drives are ok. I would like to get an intel (E6700 core duo) based system and just stick my drives in and boot from my WIN2K installation.

Can I do this? If not, why?

2. Lance1

Lance1

You Win2K OS is hardware specific and will not boot on the new computer. You could install the hard drive and attempt a Repair on the OS with your Win2K CD.

3. The Hound

The Hound

You'll need motherboard-and chipset-specific drivers as well. Check the motherboard manufacturer's site for Win2k drivers.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Why do all that when the system will run so much better with a clean install?

5. sunstroke

sunstroke Thread Starter

It will take me at least a few days to format and partition new drives, install and configure my operating systems, servers, services, applications and restore my data. I also got firewall and AV from my cable ISP, to which I no longer subscribe and so will probably now re-subscribe for just a month (since it will be cheaper than buying the software) to get those again.
    It would be REALly convenient to just stick my drives into a new box and be able to use them as is.

Thank you all very much for your help.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

sunstroke,
    Once again I am a little lost here as most firewall software has free versions and there are at least 3 decent antivirus software programs available, which are certainly better than whatever a isp provides online. Avira, Avg and Avast are free and quite usable antivirus programs and Kerio and Zone Alarm firewall software program are free though I only use XP Firewall which is all you really need anyway.

7. sunstroke

sunstroke Thread Starter

Anti-virus software isn't an issue, but firewall software is (though not as much as it was since I now go through a router).
    The free version of ZoneAlarm doesn't work for Win2k Server (to the best of my knowledge), which I need to host my SQL servers. I don't want to have to buy XP or a separate machine just to access the internet.
    I'll investigate Kerio.

Thank you very much.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice