1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Booting problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bermondsey-boy, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bermondsey-boy

bermondsey-boy Thread Starter

Hi all
    I had this problem a few weeks ago of which I've never experienced before, but because I was changing over to another HDD with WinXP OS already installed, I didn't think anymore about it.......until now.

It's raised it's ugly head again.

On cold or warm boots/restarts the screen shows the usual:

..........BIOS.....rev 1006
    ASUS........A7N8X-X.......
    CPU...AMD......2500+

It's at this stage when it checks and shows the memory, taking more than a minute to do, then carries on as usual. The system seems to be working OK except for ages now but not often, when clicking on something, the PC decides to shut down.

Anyway, I reinstalled the motherboard drivers which didn't work, and that's as far as my thinking takes me. The BIOS is 4yrs old, but why should it play-up after all this time?

Once again I look for help, and would greatly appreciate any advice to this little pain.

ttfn
    bermondsey-boy

2. F1Technology

F1Technology

Without knowing any specific, id check the RAM using Memtest86 and check to see if the heatsink is blocked up with dust and debris.

keep us posted
    steel

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Download this zip file:

Memtest Download

Unzip it. Put a floppy in your drive. Click on Install in the unzipped folder. It will ask what drive. Usually, A:

When done, put the floppy in your machine and start it. The memory test will start automatically. Let it run through all the tests (or all night).

And I agree about the heat thing, too. If you have a hardware monitor in your BIOS, check the temperature as soon after it shuts down as possible to see what that looks like.

4. bermondsey-boy

:confused: Hello Elvandil and Steel

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I don't let the tower airways get too bad with dust. There was a light coat of dust on all fans, and some in the CPU heatsink, but certainly no blockages. Also, I never thought it was an overheating problem, because I have Asusprobe running all the time with CPU set to 65deg C, and the M/B at 50deg C, which hasn't thrown a wobbly yet.

I got Memtest v3.3 from the net and created the floppy. On restarting to boot from the floppy, the PC booted normally. You didn't say I would have to make a bed up in the corner, 8 Tests, blimey!. Seeing as it was going to take some time to do the business, I had to go out for a while, so left it running until I returned with the Walltime showing nearly three hours, and program at an end. All seemed fine and rebooted. Again it booted normally, then I did another restart, and the @#$%^&* wheels fell off again, back to square one.

I left it overnight, and on booting this morning, it was still bad. So I had a gander in CMOS. I thought I would make a few changes to settings I've used in the past. Firstly, I disabled the Boot Virus Detection setting, then changed the FSB Spread Spectrum and AGP Spread Spectrum from Disabled to 0.50% for both. I did three restarts in quick succession (meaning pressing the restart button on the tower just after the IDE connections appeared), and all where normal. After about 10 minutes while typing this little lot, I restarted again. All was OK and did another quick one, then straight to the desktop, and all is well.

So people, what do you think? I'm thinking fluke, flash in the pan. I'm going missing for a couple of days, and as soon as I can, I will do a process of illimination to the changes I made. Strange?

MEMTEST V3.3 : Pass %
    Athlon XP (0.13) 1838mhz : Test %
    L1 Cache : 128k 11273 MB/s : Test #8
    L2 Cache : 512k 3588 MB/s : Testing : 112k - 1280M 1280M
    Memory : 1280M 920MB/s : Pattern :
    Chipset : nVIDIA nforce2 SPP / FSB : 167mhz
    Settings : RAM: 167mhz (DDR334) / CAS : 2.5-3-3-7 / Duel Channel (128bits)

Cached RSVDmem Memmap Cache ECC Test Pass Errors ECC Errors
    1280M 84k E820-std on off std 1 0

I certainly will keep you posted on this little caper so

ttfn
    bermondsey-boy

5. bermondsey-boy

Elvandil, I forgot to mention.

The bios temperatures were:
    M/B = 13deg C
    CPU = 60deg C

AsusProbe showed:
    M/B = 13deg C
    CPU = 36deg C

Why the difference?

After leaving it all night and the start up from cold was a bad one, I dismissed the idea of an overheating problem.

ttfn
    bermondsey-boy

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Big differnce in temp readings, but neither is too high. No, I don't think it's heat, either, at this point.

If the settings you used don't improve the situation, try the default settings or "Setup" settings if you have them in your BIOS.

7. bermondsey-boy

I read your comment Elvandil, but does the following make you think?

SATURDAY: On a stone cold first startup of the day, (winter here), I went straight into the bios to look at the temperatures.

CPU = 52c This is high from cold, yes?
    M/B = 8c

Watched the temps rise, and after a couple of minutes we had:
    CPU = 63c
    M/B = 10c

At this point the 'operating sound' from the tower slowed down, and the temp leveled out at these readings.

I then restarted, had a normal boot, and as soon as poss., AsusProbe showed:
    CPU = 34c
    M/B = 10c

After about 30mins. Probe showed the same for the CPU, but M/B was at 12c

Restarted into bios - temp showing:
    CPU = 63c
    M/B = 12c

Another normal boot into the desktop. After 2 hours probe was at:
    CPU = 36c
    M/B = 14c

Did another trip to bios with readings of:
    CPU = 65c This is the highest reading of all
    M/B = 14c

Normal boot. Probe read:
    CPU = 37c
    M/B = 14c

During the tests, all I did from desktop was to delete a few programs, do a few chores on line and surf.

I did a process of elimination to the changes I made to bios, and not a bit of difference. It still booted normally, bios showed CPU as 63c
    I've enabled the BVD and disabled the Spectrums. All seems OK.

I felt stupid doing al these tests, and still do.

MONDAY: Start of another day, and have had many normal boots in between time.

Except for the day I booted from stone cold and had a bad one, It would appear that cleaning the airways proved to be the answer
    With very little dust, I didn't think it would have made that much difference.

On reflection to the PC shutting down when clicking on something, could it be that the temperatures were borderline, then giving the CPU some extra work to do, pushed it over the edge forcing it to shut down?

My system comprises of:
    CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2500+
    M/B: ASUS A7N8X-X
    RAM: 1.25GB
    GFX: Radeon 9550SE

Many thanks to both Elvandil and Steel, for your prompt help in this little caper of mine. I'm sure I wouldn't have blamed dust for the trouble, and would probably still be trying to find the answer.

ttfn

PS: Why don't bios and Probe agree on temperatures, particularly the CPU?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

No idea about the temps, but that 65 seems pretty high and I'm not sure I believe that one.

A little dust? Well, I hope that was it. Only time will tell.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools at the top of the page.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice