1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BOOTMGR is compressed-Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sunie9, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunie9

sunie9 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    I'm feeling very dumb, but I'm begging help. I compressed my hard drive to free up disk space (something EVERYONE now tells me was a bad idea!). I am using Windows XP.

I am now getting the following message: BOOTMGR is compressed, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I have put in a Windows disk that I borrowed from someone, but can't find simple directions for dummies on what to do next. I have rebooted using the disk, go through a Windows Setup and get as far as selecting either Windows XP set up or Recovery Console. I'm assuming that I need to go to Recovery Console, but that's where I get stuck.

When entering Recovery Console, I have the option of selecting either C:\Windows or E:\Windows. I'm going to assume that I want to go in to C. When I do that, it asks for an Admin password-I don't have one of those! Where do I go from here?

If anyone has a great link or place to suggest for information, I would really appreciate it! Plain English is the best for me, too! :p

Thanks so much!
    Emily

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

There may not be an Administrator password - just try the Enter key to find out. If there is, there's little anyone can do to help othe rthan to suggest you try the E: drive version. Forum Rules prevent password assistance for obvious reasons.

If you can get to the Command Prompt, type attrib bootmgr -s -r -h (including the saces) and hit the Enter key. That may be sufficient.

3. surferdude2

surferdude2

The error message you are getting is associated with Windows Vista so I assime you may be dual-booting Vista with XP. At any rate, here's a link to the information needed for decompressing your drive.

Decompress Drive Info

As saga lout has stated, you should try merely pressing the enter key when asked for an administrative password to access the Recovery Console from the XP setup CD. Otherwise try using a Vista CD. Either will work per the instructions on the link I gave.

Good luck.

4. jailhousews

jailhousews

Ah, if he's right, you are running a dual-boot of XP and Vista, then Vista is the one managing your boot options, and when XP was compressing "old files" it didn't recognize bootmgr as a system file. XP uses the Ntldr program and the boot.ini file, while Vista uses the bootmgr program and the BCD file. I guess Windows 7 probably uses the same boot process, as I've been told that 7 is just an improved version of Vista.

5. sunie9

sunie9 Thread Starter

Thanks so much, everyone. Saga Lout, you were right. There was no password, just needed to hit enter. The link was helpful, thanks for that too! I was confused since everything I found in search referred to Windows Vista-it's all making more sense now. I appreciate the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice