1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: bootsect for Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dustyjay, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    I am trying to make a thumb drive bootable. All the tutorials I have found on the subject say to use the bootsect command in a command prompt. But bootsect is not a command available in the command prompt for Windows 7. Is there somewhere I can download bootsect? or is there another way to make a thumbdrive bootable besides using the bootsect command? TIA

2. MKCL

MKCL

This is one of my tutorials and it is easy to follow

How To Install Windows 7/Wondows Vista Via USB;

USB Flash Drive (Minimum 4GB)

Windows 7 or Vista

Follow the below steps to create bootable Windows 7/Vista USB drive using which you can install Windows 7/Vista easily.

1. Plug-in your USB flash drive to USB port and move all the contents from USB drive to a safe location on your system.

2. Open Command Prompt with admin rights. Use any of the below methods to open Command Prompt with admin rights.

3. Type in the following commands in the command prompt:

Type DISKPART and hit enter to see the below message.

[​IMG]

Next type LIST DISK command and note down the Disk number of your USB flash drive.

4. So below are the commands you need to type and execute one by one: (see screenshots below)

SELECT DISK 3

CLEAN

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

SELECT PARTITION 1

ACTIVE

FORMAT FS=NTFS

(The Format Process Should Only Take Few Minutes)

ASSIGN

EXIT

Do not close the command prompt as you will need to execute one more command at the next step so Just minimize it for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Now insert your Windows7 or Vista DVD into the your drive and check the drive letter of the DVD drive. Lets assume that your DVD drive letter is “E” and your USB drive letter is “I”

6. Maximize the minimized Command Prompt and type in the following command now:

E: CD BOOT and hit enter. Where “E” is your DVD drive letter.

CD BOOT and hit enter to see the below message.

7. Type another command given below to update the USB drive with BOOTMGR compatible code.

BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 I:

[​IMG]

Where “I” is your USB drive letter.

8. Copy your Windows 7/Vista DVD contents to the USB flash drive.

[​IMG]

9. The only thing you need to change now is the boot priority in the BIOS to USB from the HDD or CD ROM drive.

Thats it now complete, now you can install your windows 7 or Vista from your USB!

3. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually I am not trying to install win 7. My daughter has an acer one net book, I am trying to make an Acronis Tru Image rescue disc on the thumb drive for use on her netbook. I can install Tru Image on her net book to make an image of the HDD, but need a rescue disk to restore the image in the event of a non boot situation in windows.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    Thank you for the response, I am prepping the thumb drive now. I found the bootsect just as you described.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    Well worked for the Installation of Win 7, but not for my needs making a bootable drive otherwise. Still researching.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You can give this tool a try. I've used it to put the Ultimate Boot CD on a thumb drive, then added my Acronis ISO created using the Boot disk creator, and it boots it just fine.
    Universal USB Installer

7. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    I used the HP USB Flash Drive formatting tool to format it a bootable dos disk, then created the Acronis Rescue disk on it.

the tool can be downloaded here http://thepcspy.com/read/bootable_usb_flash_drive/

I tested the rescue disk on 4 of my computers, it works well. It can store and recovery the images to and from a network drive via ethernet, but not wireless.

Gonna mark this one solved, thanks for the help, hopfefully this will also help someone else.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!