1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bos Wars lan game... Can not reach server

Discussion in 'Games' started by lastrachris, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lastrachris

lastrachris Thread Starter

I am trying to connect to a computer in my house so I can play a one of my friends at Bos wars. Every time I try to connect it says "Could not reach server". What am I doing wrong? Is it possible I have two different versions of the game?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    did you go by host name or ip address?

Make sure that the firewall on both computers are temporarily turned off... it may be blocking you.

3. lastrachris

It is Ubuntu to Windows. So I'm not sure of that effects anything. I just put localhost. I did ensure that both firewalls were off and the same error occurred.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    it might. As to the server, you would need to put the host name or ip address of the computer you are connecting to. So for example from ubuntu to PC... if your PC is named PCONE then on the other, you put in that... but I tend to use the IP address instead because if you use the host name it can cause some issues if DNS is not working.

Try connecting by the IP address. If you are unable to, try to do a ping test by going to the command prompt (PC) and type PING <ip address> where ip address is whatever the unbuntu has.

5. lastrachris

I did try it with the IP. Still same error. It says it is going to connect and gets all the way there, but then says error cannot reach server. I'll test the ping thing out.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    if the ping fails, then it sounds like that the computer's firewall is active and blocking the connection.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/939589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice