Solved: both netscape and Internet explorer crash the system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hawk40

Hi, I hope you guys can help,
I have just installed XP Home on my wifes rig for the 3rd time (reformatted each time - used 2 separate hard drives).
I ran Nortons internet security (with updates) - no viruses
I ran Adaware which found some evil spyware entries (about 10) cleaned them up
I updated XP to SP 2.
When I get it on the internet (through cable modem) I almost immediatly get those fake messages about the system being bad and go to some bogus site selling some bogus products. I got that to stop by using shoot the messenger.

But.... each time I install it even this time with all the precautions the whole system will crash everytime I open up either browser.
Usually I can do a few things - visit a site and then crash!
The odd thing is there are no crash messages from windows.

Could this be my cable modem?
Could this be a virus in my bios?

Help!

It sounds to me like you have some pretty evil malware on your computer. Please download HijackThis to your computer from this link. Please unzip this program to a permanent location on the hard drive, such as C:\Program Files\HijackThis\Hijackthis.exe. Then when you are done installing "Scan and save a logfile". Notepad will open. Copy the entrie HijackThis log into your next reply.

Hawk40

Ok, well this shows that it really pays to check the details!
Believe it or not it was a Microsloth technician that inadvertantly helped me.
The USB host controller hadn't installed when I had installed the motherboard drivers and the little exclamation point was glaring at me from the device manager menu.
I installed those specific drivers and ....Blammo!
All is well.(y)
Thanks for your help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online