1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Brand new 24 inch Dell UltraSharp question (2407WFP-HC)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Securis, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Securis

Securis Thread Starter

I must say this monitor works great. But with certain rhythm music games I play I get input lag with DVI. I was wondering if it was possible to have both DVI and VGA/S-Video hooked up, and be able to switch between the two. For some reason this is not working for me the monitor loses the signal whenever I switch to any video mode other than DVI. I'm running 2x NVidia 8600 GT's, both have 2 DVI inputs and 1 svideo, totalling 4 DVI and 2 SVideo inputs on my PC. I have a DVI, S-Video Cable and a VGA cable.

The input lag is getting irritating and I'm assuming running it with the VGA plug would solve this problem. I've even tried switching the resolution down to 800x600 before switching to VGA but to no avail.

Any help will be much appreciated.

EDIT: Btw the only way I can plug in with the VGA cable is via a VGA-DVI converter. It worked perfectly for my 17" Envision CRT I had before I bought this.

2. Compiler

Compiler

THAT, is a strange problem. You shouldn't get lag at all. DVI is better than VGA connection wise.

To use a "VGA connector" mode, you'll need to go into display properties and turn on the other connector. Then you can switch inputs on the 24".

Sounds more like a driver issue... try latest for your video cards.

3. Securis

Securis Thread Starter

Yeah when I got the monitor I was having problems getting it to work, so I uninstalled my video drivers and downloaded the latest ones now it works perfectly except for the above mentioned problem.

I looked heavily in the nVidia control panel but I couldn't find anything in there. I haven't looked much around in windows display settings but I'll check it out when I get home (I'm at work till 4 EDT).

From what I gather this is just like the HDTV lag that many experience when hooking up older consoles to HDTV's. I figured that a PC wouldn't have this problem because it is a different connection but it looks like I may be wrong.

The problem could very well be the game, I can try messing with the settings in it a bit more to see if that is the problem. The monitor even has a "Game Mode" setting but that made absolutely no difference. Perhaps this is only for composite or component video.

Thanks for the quick response.

EDIT: Got the multiple modes working! Playing in VGA mode didn't help it sadly. Tried S-Video also, not only did it look crappy but also was laggy. Oh well. One more awesome thing would be to not have to worry about going into the control panel to change the output every time I change the input on my monitor. To just be able to change inputs by changing to the respective input from the monitor would be great.

Thanks!

4. Compiler

Compiler

Then the performance problem is with the video card.

Turn off SLI, remove a card and see how it works.

VGA connector doesn't have the quality of output as a DVI connector.

5. Securis

Securis Thread Starter

Bah, I would really rather not turn off sli. Even if it works I would have to turn off sli and remove a card every time I played the game? :( Or is there another workaround?

EDIT: Tried disabling sli, didn't help my situation.

6. Compiler

Compiler

We're trouble shooting here.

Its not a display problem, its either software driver or a hardware problem. But do make sure that the rest of your computer is running properly. Not 15 things in your system tray, IM and other resource hogging programs in the back ground.

You're running two video cards, they have to TALK to each other correctly for performance. If the SLI bridge is damaged, a card is bad, a SLI slot is bad could cause a problem. So remove a card - see how it works. Then swap that card out for another on in the same slot. Then try each card in a different slot.

7. Securis

Securis Thread Starter

Ok, I'll do that when I get home from work.

In case you need to know, the system is about 6 months old, I built it back in late January. The only change I did since then was getting the new Monitor.

Thanks!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/735383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice