1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Brand New Computer turns off

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mbush376, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mbush376

mbush376 Thread Starter

I just built a new computer and last night it worked fine when I powered it on. I tried to start it up this morning, it gets through detecting all the drives then starts to load windows, then shuts off. I am at my wits end with this thing. I am not a pro, but I know basics.Can anyone help?

2. Striker840

Striker840

Sounds like a possible CPU overheating issue. Make sure the CPU fan is running and the heatsink is PROPERLY attached and seated.

3. mbush376

mbush376 Thread Starter

Ok, all that is ok. It does boot into safe mode and works fine.Hardware issues maybe?

4. Striker840

Striker840

No not a hardware issue, if it was you would not be able to boot into safe mode. Sounds like a possible corrupt OS install. What OS are you running?

5. Striker840

Striker840

Also since you can boot to safe mode, check the event logs for any error or warning messages.

start>control panel>admin tools>event logs. You will have system, application, and security logs. Check those for any issues.

6. mbush376

mbush376 Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch. It was ATI software I have installed. Works fine now.

7. Striker840

Striker840

How did you figure that out?
    Application or system error message?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice