1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bridge gender cable

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Boothbay, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Never heard of this until I bought my smartTV . Apparently the usual component cables does not work with this set. I do not see the 3 cable inputs...just 2..a green and yellow. I called LG support and they told me that i need a 'bridge gender cable". Why would the TV makers do that? It would mean any peripheral product..ie...cable box, dvr ( as far as I know ) blu ray player would need the same type of inputs. Could someone tell me how to connect my 'old' component cable to such inputs? Would one cable just be hanging?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need all three component cables to get proper picture and color. And the yellow is for audio.

Did the TV not come with the 'bridge' cable?

What is the exact model of the LG TV you bought?

Your Bluray player should have an HDMI port, that's the connection I'd be using and it will carry both the video and audio. You need to use HDMI to get full 1080p from the Blu ray player, you are limiting your picture by using component cables, don;t think 3D is possible unless you use HDMI.

As to why, they are probably trying to reduce the size of the TV. Secondly, they are probably trying to phase out the older connectors in favor of HDMI.

This is suggests the cable is included: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfCXvcf63dg

3. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Did the TV not come with the 'bridge' cable? Yes, 2 pair with different colors and i do not know why the different colors. one has the red, white, yellow and the other pair has Green, blue, red...???
    The manual does show a description, but it points to one that says this is not included.
    The model is 49UB8500...The 3D is nice, but of minor interest so far. Now, my CISCO cable box has the ordinary component outputs, so from what i gather is this, and please correct me if i am wrong...hook up the usual way from the cable box and when it comes to the TV, I insert this adapter and connect the comp. cable to that. ..but again i am confused about the different colors. Thanks for the link.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is your old component cable connecting Y, Pr, and Pb signals from your video source? If not, what kind of component signals are your referring to?

Are you referring to Y, Pr, and Pb component video signals from the Cisco cable box? If not, what kind of component signals are your referring to?

5. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Yes, is there any other kind?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Standard component cables are in fact blue, green, red, so that's the one to use for video. You'll need to get audio as well to the TV, so then you use the red and white which are standard for left and right audio. Yellow is standard for composite video, you wouldn't use that unless you have another device that old has that type of output.

Here's a copy of the online manual: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-49UB8500#
    Page 26 details using the adapters.

Or just use HDMI to get the best picture and image quality and get the most out of your new TV.

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    There was an analog RGB with sync on Green standard that was kicked around a long time ago.

The adapter cable with the green plug for the TV should work with the Y, Pr, Pb outputs on your Cisco cable box, You will need a common, three signal, component video patch cable to go from the cable box to the adapter cable.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice