1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Broadband changes

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Brigham, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

I am changing from Orange broadband to BT broadband. I have been given a new internet address. Will I, easily, be able to get the data on outlook express transferred. I suppose I will have to inform all my address book people about the change. Are there any other pitfalls, I may come across? Any tips would be gratefully received.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you downloaded your e-mail to Outlook Express, it's on your hard drive and has nothing to do with your old e-mail account. If you used IMAP instead of POP, you should copy everything to a local folder.

3. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

I'm afraid I don't quite understand. I am using outlook express at the moment. I don't know anything about POP or IMAP. I have seen the code? pop in connection with outlook express. I think I am jumping the gun, perhaps I should wait until the 25th when the changeover takes place, and see what happens. Thanks for your input.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Are you using an orange email address (or one of the old emails - they took over) and from the 25th will change to a BT email address
    if so ,
    I would suggest getting an email from somewhere like google - gmail and then its not tied to the broadband supplier - and allows you to change broadband service without having to also change email.

you can still use gmail with outlook express

5. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

My email address is freeserve, which, I believe is from orange. It has stayed the same but the provider has changed from orange to wannado I think. These changes didn't appear to affect the email. I will take your advice and change to gmail once I have changed my broadband provider. Thanks again!

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, freeserve is part of orange now as you said, Freeserve went to wannado went to orange - so no impact on the email

you can move to gmail any time and once set up - send an email to all your contacts - no need to wait really , at least then you have a couple of days to sort out any emails that get bounced etc

you freeserve account email may not be shut down straight away - but you may not be able to access ... just depends on how orange treat you leaving there service - so people will still email freeserve and may not get a reply

7. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

I have taken your advice and opened a gmail account. It has one irritating thing about it. When I click the icon I am taken to a page that requires me to log on with my password etc. With outlook express I went straight to my inbox. Is there any way to do this with gmail? I've looked on their help pages but this isn't mentioned. Sorry to be a nuisance.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you can set it up to use outlook express
    heres a link to how to set it all up with outlook express -
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13276
    I would leave the emails on gmail - theres an option to do that - then you will have a backup of all your emails

if your using the website - you should be able to tick - stay logged in and then at the top of the webpage you will see a link to gmail and that should go straight to the inbox - what webbrowser are you using ?

9. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

I am using firefox.

10. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

With regard to going directly to inbox. I can tick "stay logged in" but there is no link to gmail at the top of the screen.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  12. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

This link takes me to a page called "the A register"
    On a google page I now see the gmail link. this takes me to "settings." There is no setting that would allow me to bypass the log in every time I log on to gmail. I have looked on gmail forums and found that several people are thinging about giving up gmail because of this. As with a lot of internet companies, it seems impossible to get to somebody who can do anything for you. Help pages lead nowhere.

13. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

Etaf. I have just found the solution. On the firefox page, go to tools, options, privacy. Where it says firefox will, put the drop down menu on to "remember History" problem solved! Thank you again for your patience with me.

14. buffoon

buffoon

Brigham, maybe it's just my impression but did the setting up of Outlook Express sort of get passed by?
    Because if you set it to your gmail account it'll work just like before and you can forget all the hassle involved in logging onto gmail's web page.

Only reason you might possibly want to log on to that webpage is to access your mails when you're away from home or your PC repectively.

15. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

This sounds good. How do I set Outlook Express to my gmail account?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice