1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Broadband download speed

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DKTaber, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I have Comcast cable broadband that routinely tests at ~6Mbps. However, I encounter a fair number of downloads that run at dial-up speeds. For example, I decided a few minutes ago to try the Comodo free firewall, which is a 7.68MB file. I'm downloading it now and it's coming over at abotu 5 Kilobytes.sec. which translates to about 40 Kilobits/sec. That's what I used to get on my 56 baud modem.

As I say, this happens only on some sites. I'm assuming it's because the server at the other end either can't dispense the file any faster or did not detect my connection speed (which is ~80 times that speed). Is that right or is there some setting I need to change (Lan is set to "Autodetect connection speed")?

2. Molucky

Molucky

Try downloading iTunes from www.apple.com and see what speed you get there. It could just be the servers your downloading from. Also do a speed test at

www.speedtest.net

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Subsequent to posting this question, I called Comcast support re this issue. During our conversation, I did "pings" on the site I was having the problem with (www.personalfirewall.comodo.com) and others. The Comodo site was routinely 4-10 times slower responding to the ping than were pings to other well-known sites like Comcast.com, Broadbandplace.com, Google.com, etc. While that does not explain a connection that is 1/80th the speed of my 6Mbps connection, it does say that it's slower.

The Comcast tech support rep. concluded that it's just a problem or functional weakness of the Comodo Web site; i.e. the server is just slow. My question remains. . . Why do some sites deliver download at 56K modem speeds while others detect your connection speed and deliver files accordingly? I've had enough of these to consider switching to 768 Kbps DSL, the slowest you can get. If despite my ABILITY to download very fast, many Web sites cannot handle that kind of speed, why pay for the higher speed when you can't use it?

4. Molucky

Molucky

What was the speed you get when doing the test on the speedtest website?

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

6.1Mbps

6. Molucky

Molucky

What speed are you ment to be getting? It seems to me that its the servers you are downloading from are just slow.

7. Molucky

Molucky

Also if your using winxp, try this and let me know the results.

Start > Run > type in CMD > type in NETSTAT

Once you have done that you will see this. You are looking for estabished conntections.

This will list all open connections running on this machine. If the list is long then the problem is likely to be Trojan virus related and it maybe worth running a virus scan and spyware scan

The more open connections the more bandwidth will be taken up slowing the connection.

8. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

No. . . there are no trojans on my PC; I have V-com's SystemSuite 7 installed and the AV monitors anything coming into the computer and is up-to-date. I've used SystemSuite thru versions 5 to 7 and have NEVER had a virus or trojan problem. The NETSTAT command revealed only one connection -- to Google, because of the updater.

Because of my conversations with Comcast tech support and "ping" commands I issued during same, I'm going to mark this thread as solved. The problem is with the servers, not with my computer.

9. Molucky

Molucky

No problem, sorry i couldn't be of any assistance.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice