Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Broadband Speed

974 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  devil 
#1 ·
My broadband speed comes through my telephone line. I`ve been on 3mb download speed but recently have upgraded to receive up to 7.6mb download speed.
My query is this: i`ve been told by a tech guy from my broadband provider that because my router speed yesterday was 4416 that that is the fastest speed i can receive.(i`ts only 3712 today). Can i change my router for a different one that will take 7.6mb speed or does the router actually make any difference to the download speed received?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Easy; the answer is a definite "IT DEPENDS!" :rolleyes:

Brand and model of your current router?

Are you talking about a wireless or ethernet connection, or both, to the router?

What is your measured speed for a computer connected directly to your modem?

#4 ·
Not sure what you mean by measured speed for a computer connected directly to your modem?
Had you told us you had a modem/router combination unit I would not have asked that question. :)

Can i change my router for a different one that will take 7.6mb speed or does the router actually make any difference to the download speed received?
Yes, you can change your router for another one capable of handling 7.6 Mbps downstream and the router can make a difference. But since yours should support a minimum of 8 Mbps downstream (see below) don't be in a hurry to change routers.

Sometimes the router needs to be prodded into better behavior. That's done by making sure you have the latest router firmware and then reset to factory default settings and reconfigure it. If that modem/router is owned by your ISP proceed very cautiously. Sometimes routers fail, just like everything else, and supporting slower speeds only is one failure mode.

My suspicion is that your line from the central office or your interior wiring is what does not support 8 Mbps downloads.

After a lot of searching I found these specifications, which include ITU G.992.3.

#7 ·
If you have a Network Interface Device box outside where you can disconnect your interior wiring and connect your modem/router there you can test. If the speed is better there you must have a problem with your interior wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.