1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Broadband speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MrMason, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrMason

MrMason Thread Starter

I'm running a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router, my issue is that I lose about half my download speed when connected to this router. When I connect directly to the cable modem I run at about 20mb. I just got off the phone with Linksys Tech support and they said they would help me out if I gave them $40.I figured I would come here and submit my question and maybe someone out there could help me out.Tech support also said they would be able to fix it, so I'm thinking that maybe its just something simple I'm overlooking.Thanks to anyone that can give me any ideas.:)

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Think I might do two things first.
    Download any more current firmware for the router
    Go to the pc maker's web site and download/install and more current driver for your wireless network adapter.

3. IT-Support

IT-Support

Supposidly that router can configured to block specific ip froms the net and bandwidth throttling. Disable these and that should sort it. Let me know if these are not enabled at the moment and i'll have another think.

4. MrMason

MrMason Thread Starter

I can not see any place in config that will let me disable these things actually I don't even see them anywhere

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Depending on the age of the router, it may not support a 20mbit WAN bandwidth. I've had several aging routers that topped out at around 7-8mbits.

6. MrMason

MrMason Thread Starter

I went to the linksys website and tried to download the latest Firmware, when I tried to open it all I could get was a document telling how to install firmware,but before I got to document it gave me a message saying unable to load graphics conversion filter?? I have no idea what that is . Any ideas? BTW the router is a linksys BEFSR 41

7. MrMason

MrMason Thread Starter

I've just got off the phone with Linksys tech support again and they said that the BEFSR 41 will support up to 54mbs and thats all they could tell me unless I give them $40 for there tech support. I've tried everything that I could think of and all the things you people have tried to help me with to na avail. I think I'm just going to give up on this POS and try a different brand and hopefully I will have better luck. any Ideas on a good brand to purchase? And I want to thank you all for your help that you offered me . Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

8. JohnWill

They're talking about the wireless bit rate, you didn't get any useful information from them. Probably won't get anything better for the $40. :)

FWIW, I have a D-Link DIR-615, and it has no problem passing the full 20mbit bandwidth of my Verizon FiOS connection to the wireless workstations.

DIR-615 for $40

9. MrMason

MrMason Thread Starter

You know I was kind of thinking that too about that $40 tech support deal, although they did say they would take care of my problem (lol).I'm almost sure they would have told me its something with my computer. I'm glad I didn't go that route. Thanks for the info John

10. JohnWill

The $40 will buy you a new router. :D

11. MrMason

MrMason Thread Starter

Yes exactly what I was thinking John, thanks again for the assistance

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/885488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice