1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Broke plastic around 3.5 inch drive ribbon cable while unplugging from motherboard!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by musiclover, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. musiclover

musiclover Thread Starter

I got a new case for a friends computer today, and set about removing motherboard/hardware from old case to install in new machine. While unplugging the ribbon cable connected to the 3.5 inch floppy drive from the motherboard, I ran into dificulties getting it to disconnect. I must have tugged a little too hard because the plastic surrounding the pins on the motherboard broke off on one side, though the pins did not seem to be ruined. I thought, "Well that sucked, hope it turns out ok." I did notice that 1 pin was not present on the motherboard like 3 pins in, but hoped maybe that was standard. Now after installing everything into the new case, and booting up the 3.5 inch drive is not being recognized. I don't know for certain if the drive was being recognized before. It is not recognized in cmos. Probably stupid question, but is it certain that I broke the connection on the motherboard?

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

It sure sounds like it, but hey, get a new cable - they're cheep. You might even find a friend who has a spare if you ask around.

3. norton850

norton850

The floppy connector on the MB may be missing the pin that you describe. No way to know for certain at this point if the connector damage is the cause of the problem. Go into BIOS and make sure that the floppy drive is enabled and that it is the right type.

4. musiclover

The drive is not showing up in cmos, so unless I am missing something, there is no way to enable it. I did try using a diferent cable, and that did not generate any positive results. I don't think that a pin broke off, but there is 1 missing like I said about 3 pins in on one side. There was no pin still stuck in the cable after I pulled it out, so I was hoping no real damage had been done to the connection on the motherboard. Anything else anyone can think of would be real helpfull. I'm really hoping I don't have to throw down for a new motherboard.

5. norton850

norton850

In BIOS look for a place to "enable floppy drive controller". It might be under Advanced/Integrated peripherals or something similar. Sometimes in the Main heading there might be a choice to choose type of "legacy diskette". BIOSs are all a little different so you might have to do some searching.

6. thampiverghese

thampiverghese

Check whether the floppy light is on continuously.If it is the cable should be reversed at the floppy end.

7. musiclover

Turns out Norton was right, just needed to be turned on in cmos. Thanks folks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/362076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice