1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Broken External Hardrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EmeraldLily, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EmeraldLily

EmeraldLily Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm not really sure of how to describe this but here it goes anyway. I have a Freecom Mobile Drive Classic 2.5 " 160 GB usb 2.0.Its been working great since i got it which was at christmas .Anyway, recently when I've plugged it in using the usb it kept cutting out and making a strange clicking noise and my laptop doesn't always recognise its there . However , yesterday it stopped working completely.NO power going to it at all. I took the wire out and where you plug the usb in to the hardrive has been damaged.Some of the prongs have been bent, but ive straightened them out but i think 2 are missing completely.
    My question is can this be fixed- either by the manufactorer or by a computer shop and would this erase what was stored on it .I have music and lots of irreplaceable photos stored on there because ironically i thought that i was being sensible by storing them externally as my laptop had crashed once already and i had lost everything saved on it !
    Any advice will be gratefully received
    Thanks in advance
    EmeraldLily

2. HCD

HCD

Strange clicking sound - appears to be a hard drive issue - sounds like hard drive is mashed. Based on your experience... are you in US or UK. Determines where you can take unit for repair. If HDD is mashed - move on as the new "home Guard" will make you smile

3. EmeraldLily

Thanks for your reply.I'm in the UK. I really hope its repairable !

4. bigbear

bigbear

5. EmeraldLily

Thanks-the link does work !
    Would this mean I wouldn't lose any information ?
    Cheers again

6. bigbear

bigbear

Getting a new enclosure will fix the broken pins, it does not necessarily mean the drive is ok as you mentioned the drive was clicking.
    This normally means the drive is about to die.
    All I can suggest is you try it and see how you get on

7. EmeraldLily

Thanks again .
    Could you tell me if this (link below) would be 'compatible'-im not sure whether the dimensions of my hard drive matches this as it appears smaller than the dimensions of the existing casing, but im not sure if this matters or not. The dimensions of mine are, 13.9 x 8.3 x 2 cm.
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(13977)Sumvision-25-Aluminum-Hard-Drive-Enclosure.aspx
    Thankk you very very much for all your help.
    As soon as one is in stock I plan on buting one to try anyway.
    Thanks again.

8. HCD

HCD

The enclosure you are considering is fine. The issue remains on the pin that is broken. Without hitting the detail - one pin is missing - that's how they are designed anyway. If you are missing a second separate pin - then you're only recourse will be with a local pro!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice