1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: broken System Restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hrlow2, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hrlow2

hrlow2 Thread Starter

When trying to do a system restore, get message box saying "System Restore has encountered a problem and needs to close". Cannot get to work even in safe mode.Get same message when going through Computer property box.Has me puzzled. Any help appreciated.Thanks in advance. :confused:

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

going through Computer property box has me puzzled. Don't know what you are talking about. How are you trying to do a restore?

3. vicv

vicv

I have the same problem. I double click My Computer, Properties, select System Restore, and get an error box for "Run DLL as App has encountered a problem and needs to close." I sent a report to MS. Just started looking here for a cause.

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 Thread Starter

Thanks,BicycleBill for responding. Going through Computer Properties just to check on status of System Restore. Get same message as vicv does.Have run undelete programs for any files maybe kicked out by accident, but none have helped. Machine gets auto-backedup every week, so I cannot use that method. Problem has already been copied to backup.Thanks also to vicv for response. If I solve mine, I will pass along the how-to. Good luck.

5. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Have you tried the obvious?

Possible solution:

1. You will need to be able to view hidden files, so go to Start>> Control Panel>> Folder Options>> View tab. Under Advanced settings, place a checkmark in: "Show hidden files and folders". Then uncheck: "Hide extensions for known file types". Click Apply, then OK to exit.

2. Open Windows Explorer, then go to Windows>> inf folder. Open the inf folder and find a file named:

sr.inf

Right click this file and select "Install" from the resulting menu.

Note: This procedure will delete all restore points from your old installation and recreate a fresh installation of System Restore.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 Thread Starter

Been there,tried that. Get box saying need disk 2 of installation or browse to... With disk inserted ,no response but says cannot be copied. Browse to gets same box "need Disk 2".

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you running anything like Norton, etc. that would interfere with a system restore?

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 Thread Starter

Hello AcaCandy. no, not anything like that. System Restore had been working fine, created restore point just 3 days ago, but cannot even access that now. only new thing installed is IE7, installed 2 days ago. went to create another after de-fragging and was unable. Don't use Norton ,McAfee or anything.

9. valis

valis Moderator

if you don't use 'anything' that could be your problem right there. You could be infected; I've seen malware that disallows restore point access before. May want to post a hijackthis logfile in the malware forums.

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 Thread Starter

Hello valis. By anything, I mean Norton Ghost or similar backup. Use the one that comes with Windows XP. I do run Kaspersky Anti-Virus,Ad-Aware 2008, and several other anti-spyware programs along with Comodo Firewall. Except for first party cookies from sites visited, this arrangement of defense has kept me clean for a long time. All are updated every other day and disk is scanned afterwards. Did not mean that I was walking blind online. May try Hijack this if I cannot resolve soon. Thank you for response.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice