1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Brother HL-5140 Keeps Wanting to Install.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JohnWill, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator Thread Starter

I have a curious error that I've been unable to get solved.

I have a system that was sharing a Brother HL-5140 printer connected to another machine on the network, all was well. I have moved the machine into the position of the primary machine, and now the printer is directly connected to it on the LPT1 parallel port. I changed the port assignment and got the printer working, even shared it with other machines with no issue. However, now the printer is detected as new hardware every boot, but it always finishes with an error. The environment is XP-Pro SP2, all service patches applied. The error dialog that I get:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    An error occurred during the installation of the device.

The specified port is unknown.

Click Finish to close the wizard.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I've uninstalled the printer and re-installed, and even went so far as to uninstall, scrub everything I could find in the registry for the Brother printer, and re-install the printer.

The printer still works fine, but I can't get rid of the stinkin' startup error! :(

Does anyone have an insight how to convince XP that the printer doesn't need installation? I am guessing it is getting confused about the exact characteristics of the parallel port it's connected to. Is there perhaps a way to disable PnP detection on just the parallel port?

Any insights would be appreciated.

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

John,

I assume you've opened up Device Manager, Ports, Right click Printer Port, clicked properties, then the Port settings tab, and unchecked 'Enable Legacy Plug and Play detection'?
    Surely, it can't be as easy as that can it?

Scorp.

3. JohnWill

You're right, it can't be as easy as that. ;) I've visited all the settings of the parallel port, from IRQ, no IRQ, legacy PnP support, no legacy PnP support, etc.

4. Scorpion

Scorpion

Lolo...didn't think so! :D.

Ok, how about this....
    Open the Printers and faxes window from Start, the right click on the printer name, click properties, then click the ports tab. Now make sure that the LPT1 port is selected, and uncheck any others, and apply.

Probably not that :D, and if not, then I have no clue, but I had to try again...lol

Scorp.

5. JohnWill

Been there, done that, burned the T-shirt. ;)

6. Scorpion

Scorpion

Well, in that case, I dunno, except to say it is probably a driver issue (duh)...and that is not something I would know about, other than using a driver cleaner to remove all traces, and THEN going and removing the registry enteries that the driver cleaner didn't remove...:D

Anyway, this will give it a well deserved bump John.....after all the help you give in these forums, I'm surprised no-one else has jumped in :( ....unless of course no-one else has any ideas either :eek:

Good luck with it. I'm gonna follow the post.

Scorp.

7. JohnWill

I may have to give up and use the USB connection to the printer. I am too lazy to add another USB card, the only reason I haven't already changed the connection. :)

8. JohnWill

Well, on the advice of many, I finally ditched the parallel port connection and hooked it up using the USB, and the problem is gone. I really need to stick a USB 2.0 card in now for more USB connections, but that's the easy part. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice