1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Browser Options?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Sandycane, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

Hi.

On a few web sites lately, I've seen messages saying that my current browser will soon not be supported and that I need to switch to IE8.

I tried this yesterday and was not a happy camper - it totally bogged down everything on my computer.:(
    I uninsulated it and am now back on IE6.

I know about FireFox but, what else is there available to use instead of these two and which is the best/ most user-friendly?

2. cdwyer55

cdwyer55

3. grumpygit

grumpygit

4. TOGG

TOGG

Opera works well for me and I had no problems when I moved away from IE over five years ago. I also have Firefox with the IETab extension just to collect Windows Updates and the NoScript extension for extra security.

If you try, but don't like any of the alternatives, you should at least get IE7 because IE6 is hopelessly out of date and more insecure than the newer versions.

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Firefox and Opera.
    Use the one you like best (which of course would be Firefox :D:D) as default and keep the other as a backup.

6. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions...think I'll try them all. :D
    Except IE7 - hated it.

7. TOGG

TOGG

It's obviously your call but, if you find that you like one of the alternatives, it won't matter what your version of IE is because you won't be using it. IE6 really is just too old and unsafe.

I upgraded to IE7 a long time after it came out (without any intention of ever using it) because it was supposed to be, and probably is, relatively, 'safer'.

8. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

Opera is installed - and I like it. It's F A S T.(y)

However, I miss my IE6 'favorites' list.
    Is there a way to transfer it from IE to Opera?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/848080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice