1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Browser script srrors on multiple machines

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dalm, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dalm

Dalm Thread Starter

Hello first post...

Was wondering if anyone has seen an influx of script errors in browsers recently. I've got about 25ish machines that for no rhyme or reason all seem to lock up for almost an indefinite period. It is happening in both IE and Mozilla and doesn't care what the machine specs or OS is. And for that matter the age of the computer. I have some 4 year old boxes doing it as well as ones we have just pulled out of the box and installed.

I'll post back if I come across anything I was just hoping someone else has run into this lately as well.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

This could be the same problem I've experienced recently. When visiting a site that contains an embedded Facebook Like link, Internet Explorer became unresponsive or returned the following error: "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly".

I had added static.ak.fbcdn.net to my IE8's Restricted sites a year ago. The embedded Like link commonly used on third party web sites calls a javascript file (static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v1/y-/r/VgBV3hcOsx9.js). If the javascript request is blocked, Internet Explorer will experience the above symptoms.

Just deleted static.ak.fbcdn.net and all is well.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB74747&actp=LIST_RECENT

Or, you may be blocking static.ak.fbcdn.net through your HOSTS file?

Or, since you seem to be having trouble on multiple computers in a corporate setting, you may be blocking some sites, like Facebook, as part of company policy?

3. Dalm

Dalm Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. I'll give that a go on the troubled machines.
    I do indeed block facebook in my environment and I ran across similar information concerning facebook links and such causing this but since it was only a about 20 out of 200 machines at this particular campus I suppose I ruled it out before heading over to check it closer. I have 14 sites with all the same dynamics and it just seemed very odd that it only showed up in a small number of machines at this one.

I'll be over there today taking a closer look at this and will check back in with my results

Thanks

4. Phantom010

5. Dalm

Dalm Thread Starter

OK I found the issue. It was my websense box. Facebook was blocked but that script somehow had quota time and so in essence the machines were waiting for input that the user could never give. ugh..some things help out and some things make it all worse. I just had to go in and remove the quota time off the script part that was trying to run.

thanks for the input

6. Phantom010

You're welcome! (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1045196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice