1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Browser upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by kenneth7379, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenneth7379

kenneth7379 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ken
    I'm using Internet Explorer 6 sp3 and everybody's leaning on me to upgrade my browser. I accidentally upgraded to IE7 once and was miserable with it and went back to IE6. A friend that upgraded my computer memory once loaded Firefox and that was dreadful. I'm quite happy with IE6, with the exception that sites I link to sometimes overlay graphics demanding that I upgrade and I can't see what I went looking for. I'm fairly useless on the computer - it's taken me five years to become proficient with IE6- and I have a strong preference for staying with what I know. My mind isn't closed to alternatives (assuming there's something out there that similar to what I'm used to) but I need to understand the process. Can I load a second browser onto the computer for test-drive purposes? When Firefox and IE6 were on in tamden things slowed 'way down. I'm reluctant to erase IE6 unless I know I can live with whatever I'm trying out. Also, would like to know...Is there any really good reason to change? I know that the constant upgrading BS seems to be the norm with computers, but in most respects I'm very satisfied with what it does right now.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

IE6 isn't supported by Microsoft anymore and by a lot of websites. It's also considered unsafe. You should definitely upgrade to IE8. It features a lot more options and is a lot more secure.

3. kenneth7379

First Name:
    Ken
    Thanks for the reply Phantom010. Your "unsafe" comment is a bit unsettling...Does this mean that it's more susceptible to malware, or is there something else going on?

I'd also still like to know what the implications are in having two browsers loaded at once. I know there are multiple choices I could upgrade to, and I'd hate to lose everything I've got loaded into IE6 before I've settled on something else. Will the computer run as slow if I try IE8 or Chrome while IE6 is loaded?

4. Phantom010

Yes, it's more susceptible to malware.

Upgrading to IE8 should save your IE6 Favorites, and settings (unless some of them are now considered unsafe).

You cannot have IE6 and IE8 at the same time. IE6 will be upgraded to IE8.

5. kenneth7379

First Name:
    Ken
    Thanks again Phantom010. I'm feeling squeamish about this. There are irreplacable pictures and files that I'd hate to lose if I change to something different and need to go back to IE6 (assuming that's even possible). I think I'm going to stay with what I know works. If I'm forced to change later, so be it, but I'm really leary after having tried IE7 and Firefox.

6. Phantom010

What do you mean? Pictures and files saved on your hard drive should not be affected in any way.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

All current browsers (that I can think of) use tabs. That's a major interface change from IE6, so if you didn't like Firefox or IE7, I can't think of any current browser you would like.

Installing software, including browsers, will not delete your files such as pictures. However, if you have data on your computer that you consider irreplaceable, you need to have multiple backup copies. Data loss can and does happen all the time.

8. kenneth7379

First Name:
    Ken
    LOL - Told you I was clueless with this stuff! I assumed that if I got rid of IE6 that everything would either disappear or have to be transferred. So, am I safe in assuming that all I would lose is my Favourites list and my Bookmarks?

9. kenneth7379

First Name:
    Ken
    "However, if you have data on your computer that you consider irreplaceable, you need to have multiple backup copies."

I've never done that before. There's a CD burner in the computer but I've never known how to use it (and I'm guessing that discs are the proper way to make backup copies). Can you recommend a site I can go to that explains how to do this?

10. Phantom010

I like to use the free CDBurnerXP to burn data to a CD/DVD.

You can also use a USB flash drive. They come in a wide variety of shapes, colors, sizes and storage capacity:
    [​IMG]
    You can also get an external hard drive. They come pretty cheap and the storage capacity is endless:
    [​IMG]

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you upgrade to IE7 or IE8 all your favorites (which is what Microsoft calls bookmarks) are preserved. Most (probably all) other browsers have the ability to import bookmarks (or "favorites") from another browser.

If your problem with modern browsers is tabs, you don't have to use them. I don't know why anybody would not use them, but I have observed my neighbor and with IE8 she is very careful to only have one tab open at a time--even if she is toggling between two web sites she'd rather open one and then the other and so on.

12. kenneth7379

First Name:
    Ken
    I appreciate the info on preserving the favourites list. I'm completely out of my depth even trying to have a discussion about tabs....I don't even understand what that means. My recollection of my short adventures with IE7 and Firefox was that things were really tough to find after using 6, and when I could find them it was difficult getting things to happen or execute. I also found the computer ran a lot faster on IE6 than on IE7 or Firefox. It's probably better for me to stay with what I have, at least for the moment. I'm currently between jobs and using the computer is integral to my job search. If I'm going to consider upgrading, it should happen after I've jumped that hurdle.

I've learned a lot from you guys today and I want you to know how much I appreciate it.

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You may run into problems submitting your resume or browsing the sites of potential employers since IE6 is no longer supported. I highly recommend you update. Some sites might not work with Chrome or Firefox either.

I also suggest you get an external hard drive ASAP. You just connect it and at least copy your important files to it. Ideally, you need a third copy of your data as well that you store off-site to protect it against fire, theft, or natural disaster. I use Carbonite for backing up into the cloud. You could get another external hard drive that you either keep at a trusted friend's house or put in a safe deposit box, but then you need to retrieve it and update it regularly.

How you decide to handle backups depends on how important your data is.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice