1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Browser won't let multiple windows open..

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dedee44, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dedee44

dedee44 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dedee
    I am having trouble figuring out how to reset my Windows browser. I use a home made computer that runs Windows XP Pro...I have Internet Explorer 6...Anytime I am online and on a web page, if I want to open multiple web pages my original web page closes and the new one opens.
    Even if I hit my explorer button on the task bar to open a second window at the same time ...it will ALWAYS close the first window. My browser will NOT let me open multiple windows at the same time! :-( I did not used to have this problem, and I do not know how to correct it, nor what caused it... I am sure it is something I can go change but not sure where that it is located...so if anyone knows I would be eternally grateful! honest :) Oh and I have even tried to reset my computer to a previous time when it worked fine and that did no good either...Help Please! Thanks, Dedee

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

3. dedee44

dedee44 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dedee
    Tell us if this works: go to start>run> then copy and paste this into the text box "iexplore.exe" (no quotes). If you can open an ie window first then try that. Let us know what happens. Also, try a repair install of internet explorer here if the last suggestion does not work.
    I tried the above but it did no good. :( I am going to try the repair/recovery next I think using my cd. Geez this sure is a pain. I really appreciate your helping... Thanks, (y) DeAnna

4. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Give Firefox a try. It's more safe and also has tabbed browsing, which makes work with several open browser windows a lot more simple.

5. new tech guy

new tech guy

Have you tried the repair of internet explorer? Also do you have service pack 2 installed?

6. dedee44

dedee44 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dedee
    Try Firefox....

I may have to try this one again...I used it once and didn't much care for it. I've tried about everything else! Thanks Dedee

7. dedee44

dedee44 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dedee
    I have just finished trying to do a System Restore but to no avail. I went back as far as I could for a good date to restore to. I only had dates back to 3 months though. I picked a date, and got a System Restore box, It said preparing to restore, and looked like it was doing it's thing. It finished, and then shut down the computer and rebooted. It booted up and the following message appeared: Your computer cannot be restored to: (the date I used) system checkpoint. No changes have been made to your computer! :( So that was a waste I reckon....
    I also put in my windows xp pro disk and tried to do a repair from there and that also did not work. Looks like a reformat is my only option left. :( Thanks for your help... Dedee

8. dedee44

dedee44 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dedee
    By the way Yes I do have SP2 ...I went to Add/ Remove Programs and started to remove it but I was unsure if I should...I got a box telling me all the different programs it was associated with and that they may not work right if I removed it. So I decided to wait on that one... :confused: Dedee

9. Ivajig

Ivajig

Go to Tools/Manage add ons and disable all tool bars. Worked for me.

10. dedee44

dedee44 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dedee
    Thank you so much!!!! You have saved the day!!!
    I did this and it WORKED I am absolutely thrilled!!!

Thank You so much! I would hug your neck if I could! :D

That seemed so simple to do, but I had never dealt with this problem before and had no idea I even had any other browsers running!!! I ended up disabling 12!!!

Again I am eternally grateful! thank you very much!! (y) :eek: :D

11. dedee44

dedee44 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dedee
    My many thanks go out to ALL of you wonderful people who tried to help me clear this problem up! I am very grateful for ALL the help I received! You ALL are the GREATEST!!! Hugz, Dedee

12. new tech guy

new tech guy

I would recommend you dont just disable your toolbars, if there is one you want, re-enable that one and uninstall the rest. Also, we ask that you go to thread tools, click mark solved, and click perform action if we have solved your problem.

13. dedee44

dedee44 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dedee
    New Tech Guy: I do not know how to un-install the add-on browsers??? I have checked my ADD/REMOVE Programs File and they were not listed there... Where do I find them, to them please? Thanks Dedee

14. new tech guy

new tech guy

Add on browsers, what are these add on browsers called? Are we talking about toolbars or seperate browsers? And what are they called?

15. dedee44

dedee44 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dedee
    Hello Again New Tech Guy:

I have copied what it said where I disabled the browsers. I also clicked and found MORE browsers this machine is running that I had no idea about! I think most programs I have downloaded from the net have had their own browsers! Anyway here's the list you will have to decide if they are browsers or toolbars. Oh, and some of these browsers I don't even have the programs for anymore.

Windows Messenger Browser
    Bit Defender Browser
    Yahoo Services Browser
    Sun Java Console
    SSV Helper Class, Browser Helper
    Shockwave Flash Object, Active X Control
    Messenger Checker Class, Active X Control, Yahoo Pager Checker
    AcroIEHlpr Obj Class, Browser Helper Object

Says these are currently loaded in Internet Explorer.
    There is also one that says: Add-ons that have been used... and listed a bunch of them there also. Dade

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/494935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice