1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: browsing pauses

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bob627, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bob627

bob627 Thread Starter

For several months I have been experiencing a "browser delay"
    for about 35-45 seconds. If I was on the internet clinking links, I would only get the pointer, with the hourglass and finally the page would open. If I was at my desktop and wanted to open a web page, I would get "Finding Site", until the pause ended.
    Since the delays were getting more frequent, I decided to time them. They occur every 5 minutes to the second, without fail.!!
    I have tried repairing IE5.5, no help. I have deleted all cookies and temp pages, no help. I have optimized several times, no help. I have called EARTHLINK, no help. I have tried to find programs running in the background, but cannot find anything unusual. Since this started about 6 months ago, I tried to remember any programs I downloaded from the net and the only one I can remember is "Kazaa". I downloaded Adware to look for spyware, but am not sure if it found anything relative to the pauses. Can IE 5.5 be a problem?? Since I have a brand new dsl phone line installed, it cant be inferior wireing.
    I called SBC Pac Bell, to test the line. They told me to call Covad Communications. Covad told me to call Earthlink. Earthlink says there is nothing wrong with my connection. So something has to be running in the "background" for the pauses to be so perfectly timed at 5 minutes apart. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, One thing that might help is to use SpyBot in place of AdAware, IF you are meaning the older version of AAW....they do have a brand new one out, 6.0, but right now it is a subscription....free version due out in several days....
    here is a compilation page from Rog, expert in residence, follow directions to have spywares removed....http://forums.techguy.org/t110854/s.html

SpyBot link is down the page a bit.

Problem might be the servers you hop through to get online....or the sites you use. I have the same problem with IE 6.0 on one pc here....the other is just fine, no delays at all....the affected one pauses, then works ok, then does it again. As I told one other poster today...we may have to collaborate on this! I have tried everything on that, too....no help.
    I installed IE 6.0 since it works very well over on this pc....but, the delay is still there. Things like Real Player check for stuff....some app like that is bound to be the culprit.

3. bob627

bob627 Thread Starter

I tried the Spybot................no help.
    I am wondering if I should up-grade to IE6, just for a test.
    Or go back to IE 5.0. It's really driving me nuts. (Not the pauses but the searching for a solution.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're not afraid to make some setting changes in the registry, go here and do steps #11 - #13. Also, do step #14. These work with both a 56K dial-up and a cable/DSL high-speed connection.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

5. bob627

bob627 Thread Starter

Just out of curiosity, have these registry settings I'm about to change always been this way, or did they somehow get changed over the two years I have had DSL. If I can impose, can you give me the reasoning behind this change and what it is doing.
    (At your leisure) thanks much

6. Del

Del

Go to Start > Control Panel and double click Network.
    What do you have listed?
    Just interested in the adapters.

7. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, While perhaps the install of DSL should optimize your Registry, perhaps it is best it doesn't. Windows is full of places you can tweak settings, within reason and with good guidance, to optimize for a particular setup such as Internet type.
    The Registry settings are to take advantage of ways to set up your Internet capacity to allow better throughput.
    Maybe Frank can supply some better details.
    Even a regular dial up modem installs with default settings, which allow normal, average performance....there are ways to safely modify things that can give slightly more zip- sort of like getting newer drivers for your hardware.

8. Del

Del

Bob627,
    Please check out my question first.
    I do tech support for DSL and have had many people call in with the exact same thing you describe and have seen it myself using Win NT. Before you mess with the registry, answer my post about your network adapters.

9. bob627

bob627 Thread Starter

Network adapters are:
    Ivasion poet adapter
    Linksys lne 100 tx fast ethernet adapter LNE 100txv41
    ipx/spx compatable protocol dial-up adapter
    ipx/spx compatable protocol linksys lne100 tx fast ethernet adapter lne 100 txv41
    ndiswan ivasion poet adapter.
    netbui dial up adapter
    netbui linksys lne 100 tx fast ethernet adapter lne 100 txv41
    tcp/ip dial up adapter
    tcp/ip linksys lne 100tx fast ethernet adapter (lne 100txv41)
    Whew!!!! Lots of adapters and lots of typing.
    Thanks

10. Del

Del

OK, double click tcp/ip linksys lne 100tx fast ethernet adapter (lne 100txv41) .
    Change it from obtain ip address automatically to specify an ip address.
    Type in 192.168.0.1 for the IP address and 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask, click ok then click ok again.
    Reboot, should fix the hanging problem.

11. bob627

bob627 Thread Starter

Del:

Unfortunately I have tried that route at the suggestion of many others. Once done, I can log on to Earthlink but no web pages come up. Others also have had that problem from different forums I have visited. Earthlink says this will not anyway.
    Any other ideas?

12. bob627

bob627 Thread Starter

Del:
    By the way, since I thought my pausing problem was due to my dsl line, I decided to connect thru my internal dial up modem and experienced the same pauses every 5 minutes. That's what made me think there is some software program in my computer
    that is causing this problem.

13. Del

Del

Normally when you get the symtoms you describe it's the tcp/ip for a NIC that doesn't need one, you put a static ip on the nic and normally problem solved.
    I had pppoe with dsl and win NT, exactly every 5 minutes, browsing froze for 30-40 seconds than worked fine for 5 minutes more. Can't believe that didn't fix the problem for you.
    When you connect with dsl, do you have a connection icon to click on then click connect?

14. bob627

bob627 Thread Starter

yes, there is a connection icon.

15. Del

Del

The invasion poet is winpoet, a pppoe client, but I don't understand why it doesn't have a tcp/ip for it.
    I don't know of anything except the tcp/ip trying to get an IP address that causes these actions.
    When the browsing hangs, the mouse still moves, right?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice