1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BSOD 0xc000021a {fatal system error} windows xp home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Taco John, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Taco John

Taco John Thread Starter

had one last week that was a little different and it just magically disappeared (I'm building a new computer as soon as this semester ends if this computer will last that long).

I have MOST everything backed up on an external hard drive, but when i had tried to copy the my documents folder, it kept giving me an error, and I don't remember if I copied any of it over or not. The programs are all backed up, but AFAIK any documents I had are still on there, and I'd REALLY REALLY like to make a clean sweep through the computer and get as much copied over as possible.

It's windows xp home with SP3. It started after running an AVG scan overnight and the computer went on standby during the scan. My mom tried to wake the computer up and it froze and when i rebooted it (hit the power button once and it gave me the option to shut down, restart or go to standby like it would if i had gone to the start menu and done it) it gave me a BSOD (process1_initialization_failed), and i tried again and it gave me a different BSOD (the one im posting about).

I have a recovery console.ISO on a CD that I found off of these forums and it works, but I DO NOT have the windows XP CD. It's a Dell dimension 4600 (from late 2003 hehe).

I'd rather not have to wipe the HD or buy a new one because I don't want to spend money on this computer...If I can fix it with recovery console or by getting a windows cd from someone (if i can find one) that would be ideal.

please tell me if anything else is needed...

and no I can not boot into safe mode, I've tried like 10 times, so don't even try and tell me to do that. :)

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I think the error was caused by AVG. Can you send us the zipped minidump files?

3. Taco John

Taco John Thread Starter

that the dr whatever thing? i found that on microsoft's website but didn't know how to do it...

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

The minidump files are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

5. Taco John

Taco John Thread Starter

i can't get past the BSOD, how am I supposed to get to my windows folder?

I boot up and i get a regular bootup for a bit, and then the screen goes black for like 25 seconds and then the BSOD.

if i could get to my windows folder i would just copy all my stuff to my external and reformat the drive and start from scratch.

6. Taco John

Taco John Thread Starter

still nothing...tried safe mode again and regular...same error.

gets to the windows loading screen then goes black for about 20 seconds and flashes and then goes blue with the error.

so no magical cure like I got last time (last time I got a BSOD the next day it just went away)

7. Taco John

Taco John Thread Starter

so is there a way to get to those files without the computer just fixing itself temporarily? UI'm at school now, but AFAIK, it's still giving the BSOD (it was until about 1AM after every try).

I've told my mom I've got basically everything I wanted backed up on the external HD, and I have an Acronis true image trial backup that I made in 2007 (although I can't get it to work, but Im going to post on their forums and see if I can) that will have all of the older documents in case I want those.

So if I can't get it working by the end of the day or so, I think I'm going to find an XP home disk and reformat and see if that will do it...surely wiping the drive and putting a fresh install of windows on it will help (which it has never had on it anyways).

I would RATHER not have to do that and just save myself the trouble and make this computer last 2-3 months and when it's done wipe it clean then and sell it to someone for $300 or something with the upgrades left in it....

So again...same error as before, nothing has changed to my knowledge. I can not boot into safe mode, can not boot from last known good config, can't boot into windows AT ALL. So getting to the windows folder isn't an option unless there's some backdoor way that I don't know how to do and would need a detailed walkthrough of.

Otherwise...will a reformat fix it?

8. Taco John

Taco John Thread Starter

didn't get any replies, couldn't find anything on the web that helped...I just reformatted.

I think it will be better anyways.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/811663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice