1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BSOD after possible PSU failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by anomalyy, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anomalyy

anomalyy Thread Starter

Good evening,

Last night my Dell Dimension 9200 (Dell #1) stopped working due to a blown PSU. I tried to swap out the PSU however I didn't have the tools required to do so and on this particular machine, Dell did a PITB wiring job with the power cables. So I took out the boot SSD drive, as well as the HDD drive that had previously been used as boot, and put those into a different Dell Dimension desktop (Dell #2). When tried to boot Dell #2, I kept getting a BSOD when either of the two pulled drives' SATA ports were activated in the BIOS (see pic).

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBA4C3524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

SSD is an Intel 330 series
    HDD is whatever initially came with the Dell (some random 160GB jobbie)

Both drives have WinXP Home SP2 installed

Since I kept failing to boot with those drives in the system, I assumed that the MBR was corrupted or otherwise damaged during the fallout from the PSU failing, so I've pulled them out of Dell #2 and will be accessing them (following your troubleshooting steps) via an external SATA dock.

I would prefer to get the SSD up-&-running first since it was the most recent boot drive and has the most up-to-date data on it. If it makes a difference, the computers I'll be using to troubleshoot will be a Win7 Ultimate laptop as well as the aforementioned Dell #2 (running WinXP Pro SP3).

Please let me know how you would like me to proceed first.

Thanks very much in advance for your time & assistance!

- anomalyy

Attached Files:

2. anomalyy

anomalyy Thread Starter

Status update. I've tried swapping the PSU for a BNIB replacement with no luck. Ditto swapping RAM, graphics card, resetting CMOS, etc. Dell #1 appears to be down-for-the-count.

That brings me to an updated request: can you please help me resolve whatever is causing the BSOD's on Dell #2 when the SSD and/or HDD are installed, as I would really like to resume using the SSD with all of my configs, files, etc.

I also just read the sticky RE: end-of-life of WinXP SP2. My OS is legitimate and came installed on the original HDD from Dell, which I migrated to an Intel SSD for the speed boost it provided. I have the Service Tag and MSFT license key details if a Mod needs those for validation.

Can the BSOD's be caused by Dell #2 having a different mobo than the broken Dell #1? Also is it possible that because the installed OS on Dell #2 is WinXP Pro SP3 vs WinXP Home SP2 on my SSD & HDD, that that could be causing the BSODs?

Help getting this resolved will be awesome! Thanks again,

- anomalyy

3. anomalyy

anomalyy Thread Starter

Bump for help please!

4. anomalyy

anomalyy Thread Starter

No response.... Had to force ownership and copy all the data off the SSD and then format it.

So I guess this is "solved"

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice