Solved: BSOD before log in screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dbailey18

Need some help here please, while working on a system later yesterday behind me is my wife's system and noticed on her screen she was in need of a update from Microsoft Update service so I opened up the update service and as I usually do check custom before updating making sure it is something that is needed and notice that the update had to do with IE 7 which she wants to use, so I went ahead with the update and after a shut down and reboot which it required things were going well as usual with the windows starting up screen then as the screen goes black and proceeds to the login screen which it never made it I get the BSOD screen with the STOP: error code [ 0x0000008E (0XC0000005,0X00000C56,0XF6031A08,0X00000000) ] and the usual warning about drivers and so forth. She is running XP Pro with all the needed updates as I do my best to stay on top of this. I went into safe mode and checked Device Manager and all seemed well except a driver listed under NON-PLUG AND PLAY DRIVERS listed with an exclamation point (ehdrv) ? No drivers are loaded for this and it is set to (under current status start.) I don't remember the KB # update but that is my fault. I will continue to research this and hope someone here can help me with this issue. Have tried several system restore points with no success and have tried a
Last known config. with no success.

Hope we can come up with something on this.

If you can from safemode get any Minidumps

If you have any Minidumps then post them...you will have to click on Go Advanced and then Manage attachments in your post on this site to post them

You will find them at C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Compress them either Zip or Rar and post them

dbailey18

If you can from safemode get any Minidumps

If you have any Minidumps then post them...you will have to click on Go Advanced and then Manage attachments in your post on this site to post them

You will find them at C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Compress them either Zip or Rar and post them
Back as soon as I can.

dbailey18

OK, No Mini dumps in the folder but I did come across the IE 7 update file which is ( KB 980182 ) if any help on that.

dbailey18

Since I don't have and can not locate any dumps any where and the system does boot into safe mode from there I do have access to almost everthing and the system seems to run fine while in safe mode which to me tells me that it isn't a video card problem since it's running on an installed AGP card and the system seems to run fine at this point so to me that tells me also that it is not a ram problem . I have to asume it is a driver problem and not even a disk problem .
Would someone correct me here if I'm wrong. Should I do a check disk while in safe mode and maybe switch back to onboard video just to clear out those maybe issue's?

So the PC does not start in Normal mode......but starts OK in Safemode.....have you tried System Restore to before you did the updates?

Does the PC have a stand alone Video card or does it have integrated graphics card....or both?

Try taking the video card out and hook the monitor to the integrated port on the Motherboard and restart the PC

dbailey18

The (ehdrv) driver I mentioned has something to do with my virus software ESET.

dbailey18

Back later. How about a check disk to check out maybe that issue ? I noticed in event log that there has been some disk error's but not lately.

If you try the video card thing first...to eliminate the Video card having any problems

When you did System Restore did it successfully restore to an earlier date?

Do you have the Operating XP disc?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts