1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BSOD but no cause listed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zappattazz, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zappattazz

Zappattazz Thread Starter

I'm running XP SP1 on a home-built system and last night I started getting a BSOD but no file or driver was listed:

STOP:0X0000008E (0X0000005, 0X804EB5FC, 0XB558AB94, 0X00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Physical memory dump complete.

The BSOD appears after the GUI is running thru the startups. I've rebooted in safe mode to see if anything new has suddenly appeared in startup folder but nothing appears different. I've read other posts about reviewing the memory dump and/or the event viewer. Can these be utilized while in safe mode since I'm unable to access the normal mode GUI?

Zappattazz

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yes you can view the eventviewer (run: eventvwr.msc) in Safe Mode -- but if you are able to boot in Safe Mode without this error, I would try "clean boot" troubleshooting to see if you can isolate the problem to a startup program or associated hardware.

First, restart in Safe Mode (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu).

In Safe Mode, run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

The actual memory dump file requires a debugger to view properly.

>> You might be able to accomplish a quick fix by running System Restore in Safe Mode.

Start > Run: msconfig > Launch System Restore and choose a calendar date prior to the problem.

3. Zappattazz

Zappattazz Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply, RR. I followed your msconfig technique and determined, thru elimination, that the problems were the result of my recent mouse upgrade. I plugged a new wireless mouse unit into the same USB port on my keyboard which held the previous wired mouse. WinXP kept expecting to see the older mouse and got "confused" with the new mouse in it's place, thus producing the BSOD. I switched the usb plug over to motherboard USB port and everything is working.

Thanks again for your expertise!(y)

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good work, and you're most welcome for the tip.

I'll mark the thread "Solved", but for future reference this option is also available to you in the "Thread Tools" menu when appropriate.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice