1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BSOD caused by atikmpag.sys

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Refandy, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Refandy

Refandy Thread Starter

Hi

My son has an HP Pavilion s3521.uk, 32 bit running Vista SP 2.0 and OS 6_0_60002.

It has suddenly started to blue screen on startup due to the atikmpag.sys driver. No new hardware or software has been added though he thinks flash may have update earlier in the day.

I can usually get into safe mode but even that seems to be a problem now as the message 'Input not supported' in a grey box moves around the screen. This problem seems to be new - possibly due to my attempts to investigate

I have tried a system restore, uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics driver, installing a new driver from the HP site (said it was not compatible) and using a different screen altogether.

I'm sure there are more techy details you may need but i'm not sure what or how to get at them, particulary as I can no longer see his screen.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give

Andy

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Refandy
    Try F8 Low Resolution mode
    Disable driver signature enforcement
    Last Known Good

If F8 advanced boot options includes repair your computer

and the Low Resolution Mode etc. do not work go to that and post back when you have those options on the screen please
    • If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
    • If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.
    On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER. (If Repair your computer is not listed as an option, then your computer does not include Startup Repair as a preinstalled recovery option.)

3. Refandy

Refandy Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. His PC does have the repair computer option.

I ran the Repair option but it said there were no errors.

The memory diagnostics tool also came up clean.

I don't know if this helps but there are vertical broken lines on the Microsoft Corporation screen (the one with the green bar).

It then got into normal windows but the screen all was 'shredded' and then after a few 'pulses' it blue screened. If you could offer any further advice I'd be very grateful.

Thank you,

Andy

4. Macboatmaster

Go back to the repair your computer
    Select the cmd prompt
    At the cmd prompt you will most likely be at
    X:\sources>
    type
    C:
    you should then be at a C prompt
    type
    chkdsk /r
    follow the instructions

5. Macboatmaster

If the above does not work I believe that computer motherboard has integrated graphics
    The monitor would then connect on what is known as the I/O plate the same area as the keyboard mouse and speakers
    If the computer has a separate graphics card the present connection for the monitor will be lower down on the rear of the case and in the horizontal plane rather then the vertical plane
    Try connecting the monitor to the connection of the I/O plate

6. Refandy

Refandy Thread Starter

Assuming for the first one you meant 'safe mode with command prompt', neither suggestion fixed the issue.

Any more ideas I could try? I've thought about putting in a new graphics/video driver but I'm not sure where to get it from.

Thank you.

7. Megabite

Megabite

8. Refandy

Refandy Thread Starter

After reconnecting the monitor to its original port we let the computer reboot and it blue screened. The second time on low resolution the computer loaded in normal mode mostly successfully - we mostly just have access to the left third of the screen, and the rest changes infrequently and belatedly, making it difficult to see what we are doing.

9. Refandy

Refandy Thread Starter

I managed to get onto the hp website but was having trouble seeing what I was doing. I know I installed the software and set it to search, and after a couple of blue screen and restarts it's now okay. We also stood the computer up and when it came back, a flash update proffered itself which we installed. Everything seems fine now, thanks for your help!

10. Macboatmaster

Thanks for posting please come back if necessary and NO it did not mean safe mode with cmd prompt it meant repair your computer and then command prompt as here

Please mark your topic solved

11. Refandy

Refandy Thread Starter

Hi

Unfortunately the problem is back - blue screen with the atikmdag.sys being the problem.

I am in the Repair Computer, selected command prompt and have typed in chkdsk /r at the C prompt.

The message I have on screen is

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

I have no idea what that means. Can you advise how I should respond please?

Thanks

Andy

12. Macboatmaster

Yes in otherwords key Y

13. Refandy

Refandy Thread Starter

I said Y and completed the check - no errors.

I restarted and my desktop appeared looking same as normal. It then flashed slowly a few times as if it was trying to refresh the blue screened giving atikmdag.sys as the problem.

Any ideas?

Andy

14. Macboatmaster

Have you ever opened the case of the computer

see this
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&cc=uk&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3755528

and this
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&cc=uk&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3755528

and this for opening the case

and if you feel able remove that video card and whilst in the case check for dust build up

Ensure you take anti-static precautions please as detailed in the last link
    You do NOT need a wrist strap ensure you take hold of the bear metal case wit both hands at each stage of the removal, hold the card and any other components only by the edges do not touch the chips etc on the card

15. Refandy

Refandy Thread Starter

We removed the graphics card and all seems to be working fine after downloading some drivers. I will mark it solved tomorrow provided there are still no relapses.

Thank you for all your help!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice