1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BSOD: nv1ddmkm.sys and dxgkrnl.sys

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by aterhall, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aterhall

aterhall Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1021 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS, 5 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 228136 MB, Free - 110666 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 6190 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0WG864
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Hi, I am at the end of the rope here, Last week my daughter was on YouTube and then out of nowhere BSOD. I have spent the whole weekend trying to figure it out, reading and reading on this. The Blue Screen error was STOP:0x0000016 and nv1ddmkm.sys.
    I can only run in Safe Mode with Networking. and I've done a clean boot, uninstalled the NVIDIA driver and updated, (so I thought, I'll get back to this) and still get BSOD. The reason I say I thought, is because I think I have two versions still on my PC. When I go into C: both are there...?

Also when I ran WhoCrashed, it told me the problem was this: dxgkrnl.sys..?
    I'm beyond lost and frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Here is WhoCrash info:

System Information (local)
    computer name: ANDY-PC
    windows version: Windows Vista Service Pack 2, 6.0, build: 6002
    windows dir: C:\Windows
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz Intel586, level: 6
    2 logical processors, active mask: 3
    RAM: 1070813184 total
    VM: 2147352576, free: 2016821248

Crash Dump Analysis
    Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 5/25/2013 1:16:50 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052413-05.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x7C07C)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFFFF80DDE510, 0xFFFFFFFF8AF0BBE0, 0x0, 0x2)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.
    Google query: Microsoft Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Sat 5/25/2013 1:16:50 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFFFF80DDE510, 0xFFFFFFFF8AF0BBE0, 0x0, 0x2)
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 5/25/2013 12:51:43 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052413-04.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFFFF80DC8008, 0xFFFFFFFF8AF10BE0, 0x0, 0x2)

On Fri 5/24/2013 5:44:24 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052413-03.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xCDAF7)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFFFF96DD6510, 0xFFFFFFFF8AF0CBE0, 0x0, 0x2)
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
    description: NT Kernel & System
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 5/24/2013 5:44:21 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052413-02.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
    Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
    Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

On Fri 5/24/2013 1:35:48 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052413-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFFFF80D93510, 0xFFFFFFFF8AD0BBE0, 0x0, 0x2)

On Thu 5/23/2013 1:53:18 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052313-03.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFFFF80FB4510, 0xFFFFFFFF8AD14BE0, 0x0, 0x2)

On Thu 5/23/2013 1:53:12 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052313-02.dmp
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.

On Thu 5/23/2013 1:51:34 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052313-01.dmp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Conclusion
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

dxgkrnl.sys (DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  3. aterhall

aterhall Thread Starter

I haven't, is it different to do it in the System Recovery options .?

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Yes, it is a different Recovery program. I would do the one I suggested first as this could get you right back to operational again.

5. aterhall

aterhall Thread Starter

I just tried a restore.. Didn't work just went back to BSOD and restarting. Back to Safe mode I go.. Now what.?

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Did not Restore?

7. aterhall

aterhall Thread Starter

I guess it did restore, but I still got BSOD and I went into safe mode. Then the box came up saying system restore happened.. I can't get into reg Windows tho.
    Windows is still saying my NVIDIA driver is the blame. I have the newest update downloaded, not sure if it's running because in my C: drive, it still shows both versions. I can't lie to ya, my head is spinning so fast, I don't know what the hell is going on. I have been researching like a ***** for the past 5 day's.
    Kinda have a feeling that it is something right in front of me, and I'm missing it. This is getting real old, using this dinosaur Safe mode is making my eyes fry. Someone please help before I do something stupid like punch my monitor or break my computer desk...

8. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    How far back did you go for your System Restore? Did you have several Restore points to pick from? I am not sure; but I think maybe your mentioning your daughters use might have led me on a different path. I see you uninstalled the NVidia driver; but looks like you installed latest version. Try uninstalling it again then reboot and let Windows install generic video driver and see if this helps?

9. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Is this the NVidieo driver page you used to get your latest driver? It has an Auto detect to check your exact card.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

10. aterhall

aterhall Thread Starter

I went back as far as I could which was only to the 10th on May.
    Should I uninstall from device manager? last time I uninstalled, windows installed the driver again automatically, I'm not sure if it was the generic or not?
    Thanks

11. aterhall

aterhall Thread Starter

No, that doesn't look like the page I used... uh oh.

12. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Give it a try :) Go ahead and install the NVidia driver it suggests and see it all comes around for you :)

13. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    You should probably go into your System Restore and Undo the restore before you try the above.

14. aterhall

aterhall Thread Starter

should I unistall first?

15. aterhall

aterhall Thread Starter

undo restore.. not sure how?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice