1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BSOD on start up but no restore CD - other options? Please help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by noon1, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noon1

noon1 Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm new here, and I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone could help me with this, please!

My father's computer crashed completely today after I'd installed and tried to open Ad-Aware. I had to turn it off, and when I tried to restart, I got this message:

------------------------------------------------------------

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your
    computer.
    If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If
    this screen appears again, follow these steps:
    Disable or unistall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your
    hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard
    drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
    Technical Information:
    ***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82EEDB28, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

-----------------------------------------------------------

This blue screen appears every time I try to start the computer, after about a second of the Windows XP loading screen. I have tried starting in safe mode, but the same thing happens. The message says to disable stuff, but as I can't get onto the computer, I can't do this!

I understand that I need to run CHKDSK/F from a bootable CD, but for some reason, my father doesn't seem to have any sort of restore, or installation, Windows CD from when he bought the computer.

Therefore, is there any other way to do this? (I am a complete noob with this sort of thing). I've tried searching the forums (and internet), but I can't find the answer.

Thank you very much in advance for any replies

:)

P.S. Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Make this CD on another computer.
    Start this computer so that CD is the first boot device.
    Follow the instructions.

Download this
    http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

That is an ISO file and requires a special program to burn the CD use this
    http://sites.google.com/site/troubleshootingwizards/Home/recovery-console-for-xp

That link also has the instructions.

When you get into recovery console run the
    "chkdsk c: /r" command, presuming that C is the drive letter of the HDD carrying windows.
    You do not type the quote marks.

3. noon1

noon1 Thread Starter

That worked a treat! Thank you so much! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice