1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BSOD: page fault in nonpaged area error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by niksniks, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. niksniks

niksniks Thread Starter

Hi!

Today when I tried to start my computer (with Win XP) it gave a BSOD at the startup (just after showing welcome screen)

I got page_fault_in_nonpaged_area error with following tech info:
    0x00000050 (0xF80F6660,0x00000000,0xF7BD971E,0x00000000)

I tried to restart few times but got the same error. Then I tried to start in safe mode - it started successfully. It also started in safe mode with networking.

Then I tried system restore to prev. day but it did not help.

I did following three things on the prev evening:
    1. I took a backup of whole C: drive on an external hard drive.
    2. Deleted lot of files from this external drive (before taking the backup)
    3. Installed, played, uninstalled a game from yahoo games.

I am not sure if any of those things caused the trouble.

I also checked if there is any problems with RAM by remove both of them and putting one at a time and seeing if xp starts - but xp still did not start.

Hope someone can help me
    Thanks. :)

2. zabusant

zabusant

Hi niksniks!

I don't know if you tried it or not, but try selecting "last known good configuration" from the F8 menu.

3. niksniks

niksniks Thread Starter

Yes! I tried that.
    It did not work in that configuration.

4. zabusant

zabusant

Alright, in safe mode, have a look in "device manager" (Contol panel>system>hardware>device manager). Look for any yellow question-marks/exclamation-marks.

If you don't find any, start>run... "msconfig" (without the "") and in the general tab, select "normal startup" and in the startup tab, uncheck everything. Restart (normally) and see if that does the trick

5. niksniks

niksniks Thread Starter

Okey in device manager, initially I did not see any yellow exclamation marks...but then in view menu i selected show hidden devices and it showed yellow exclaimation mark on dell A920 printer - if i right click on it and click on properties --
    in status menu it says following:
    "Status is not available for this device when Windows is running in Safe Mode."

Anyway I tried to disable it and removed everything in msconfig as you mentioned (under normal mode) but again xp did not start in normal mode.

Then i tried to uninstall the printer driver but it said "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer".

6. zabusant

zabusant

Don't worry about the printer drivers. Try running check disk - Start>Run... cmd

write chkdsk c: /r (where c: is your system drive/partition) and press enter. It will inform you it can't, press y to shedule it at next restart. Restart and let it run - it can take a couple of minutes or a couple of hours (once had it running for 6 hours) so be patient and don't reset before it finishes.:)

7. zabusant

zabusant

Before that, you could go back to msconfig, click on "selective startup" and look at the "services tab". Click "hide all Microsoft..." at the bottom and uncheck the rest. Restart.:)

8. niksniks

niksniks Thread Starter

Okey by the time I saw your second message I had already said it do chkdsk...then i restarted
    - again it showed BSOD and then i started in safe mode and after running through lots of driver files it halted there and "processing light" was almost continuously on so I believe that it was running chkdsk ....then i came back after at least 45 min and saw the BSOD screen---
    so it seems it ran through chkdsk and then automatically restarted in normal mode.

again i started in safemode and unchecked the non-microsoft things from services tab and tried again. It did not work.

Now what should i try?

Thanks a lot for helping :)

9. peterdiva

peterdiva

See if you have any minidump files (c:\windows\minidump). Zip up 5 of the most recent and attach here.

10. niksniks

niksniks Thread Starter

This is strange! I see I have three minidump files but all of them are very old - one from 2004 and two from 2005.
    Do you still want that?

11. zabusant

zabusant

Hi niksniks!

Check in Control panel>system>advanced>startup and recovery settings. Is "write an event to system log" checked and the "small memory dump" selected? Is the directory set to "%SystemRoot%\Minidump"?

12. niksniks

niksniks Thread Starter

Yup! everything is set as you say.
    Also, i searched whole drive to see if there is any recent crash dump files but none were there.

13. zabusant

zabusant

Post them anyway, I guess:)

To attach files, click "go advanced"

14. niksniks

niksniks Thread Starter

Okey here is the zip file containing dump files from 2004/2005

Attached Files:

15. niksniks

niksniks Thread Starter

Maybe I should just try windows xp repair....can there be any problems by trying this?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice