1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bsod: Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HaZarDouS, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HaZarDouS

HaZarDouS Thread Starter

Hello, good evening. While watching a youtube video yesterday, my pc got a BSOD with the message PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Since then, +/- 5 minutes after everything is booted up, I get this BSOD.

My Computer specs are:
    MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
    RAM: 8Gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 PC3-12800 4Gbx2
    CPU: AMD Phenom x4 965 @3.4 Ghz
    GPU: XFX Radeon 6850 XXX Dual-Fan Edition 1Gb DDR5
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.0Tb Sata 3
    PSU: LC POWER super silent 600W LC6600 V2.2

So after googling a little bit, I read that this type of BSOD happens 90% of times because of something faulty with the memory and 10% of software/drivers/other.

Knowing that, I tried only with one RAM Module on different slots and the BSOD happened on each configuration after 5 minutes, except for once, where I made an anti-virus scan (AVG Free) for half an hour, but when I rebooted after the scan, the BSOD happened again after 5 minutes. I tried the other module on different slots and it was the same, after 5 minutes, BSOD...

And now I don't know what to do, re-install windows? If the problem persists after the re-install, It'll probably be broken ram module(s) or the motherboard itself?

I also copied the last mini-dump file to a flash drive before it BSODed again, and will add it as attachment, since I don't understand that at all :p

Some help would be really appreciated, if anyone can! Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe - which is a generic error.
    But as you have said - from what you have tried, memory is the likely cause.

Run a Mem Test.
    http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Download the ISO file from one of the links above to your desktop.
    Then burn the ISO to a Cd.
    Start the Pc using the Cd and run the memory test overnight or for at least 8 passes.

It is best to run a full scan on individual Ram sticks if you can.
    Or run the test but if any errors are shown - then remove all sticks of Ram and test each Ram stick one at a time.

Guide to using Memtest86+
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic207910.html
    -----
    You can also run the Mem test from a USB stick
    http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
    Scroll down to [Download (Pre-built & ISOs]
    Download -Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*

3. HaZarDouS

HaZarDouS Thread Starter

Thanks, will try the memtest tommorow! Also good to know I can use an USB drive, as I've got no cd's or dvd's... :)

4. HaZarDouS

HaZarDouS Thread Starter

Ok, but is it likely that both memory modules sustain the same damage/fault? isn't it more probable to be the motherboard? :confused: gonna try the memtest now... I really hope it's only a software problem, as I'm currently out of funds for replacements...

5. blues_harp28

Test each memory stick, one at a time.
    It will take some time, but if you test each memory stick in each slot - you will soon know if it is a motherboard problem.
    Keep all good memory sticks to one side after each test.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You list a 955 @3.4gig. Since the 955 is a 3.2gig chip, you must have overclocked the system. Remove any overclock before attempting memtest.

7. HaZarDouS

HaZarDouS Thread Starter

Thank you for your time bluesharp28. One more thing, how many passes should it make for each test?
    @crjdriver, sorry that was a typo, I have the 965 :p

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. I see you have a very low end pw supply ie LC. Post your voltages ie 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. This should be done when under a load however if that is not possible, enter the bios and check. Read your manual for the exact location in the bios since each bios is a little different in how it presents menus/options.

Let it run for a while in the bios and see if the voltages go up and down; ie 11.8~12.1V or something like that.

9. HaZarDouS

HaZarDouS Thread Starter

@crjdriver, You might actually be right, I'll post the voltages in a moment...
    I just remebered what happened when I build this rig last november, I had connected the cases fan to a wrong cable, and when I turned the pc on, there was a noise and a bit smoke came out of the case (I immediatly turned the computer of with the backswitch and disconnected the fan cable, and never ever connected it again lol). after that everything worked flawlessly until 2 days ago...

OK had to be in BIOS:
    Vcore - 1.504V
    DDR3 1.5V - 1.488V
    +3.3V - 3.360V
    +12V - 12.112V (the "2" in the "12" sometimes changes/flashes, but it's so fast I can't recognize the number)

10. HaZarDouS

HaZarDouS Thread Starter

Also, after 2 hour of memtest and 2 passes it found no errors, I'm going to leave it a longer time now.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the 12V rail is going up and down, you have probably found your problem. Swap in a known good pw supply for testing. Note known good does not mean new; it means a unit pulled from a working system that you know works. A pw supply can be DOA just like any other part and that can really mess up your troubleshooting.

In any case if you want a reliable system, I would get rid of the low end pw supply and replace it with a corsair, seasonic or other quality unit.

12. HaZarDouS

HaZarDouS Thread Starter

the 12V rail actually always stays at 12.112V, there is no value going up or down, appart from the 2 in 12.112, which slightly flashes, but no real value change... Will be difficult to get a hold on a different psu as all people I know have laptops :rolleyes: I'm going to memtest the second RAM module for a few hours, then format and then reinstall windows. Thanks to both of you for your advice

13. blues_harp28

Let us know the result of the Mem Test - as for the other hardware suggestions [power supply etc] I will have to leave you in the capable hands of crjdriver.

14. HaZarDouS

HaZarDouS Thread Starter

@bluesharp28, the memtest went strong for about 6 hours with no errors. So last night I re-installed windows, and it seems to have worked :) been on the pc for 5 hours straight without any problem! I'll mark it as solved ;) Thanks again for your time!

15. blues_harp28

Anytime - thanks for the update. ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!