1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BSOD + "Screen Tearing"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Thunderthighs, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Thunderthighs

Thunderthighs Thread Starter

Hello,

I have an old gaming desktop, XPS 630i from Dell to be exact that I no longer use. Recently build my new rig so I gave this one to my mother who mainly uses it for internet browsing / streaming. Recently it has begun to crash with BSOD. I've encountered many BSOD in the past however after I do a hard reboot the system boots up with "jagged dotted lines" - kind of like the screen is "tearing" is the best way i can describe it.

When I start windows normally within 2-3 minutes the OS crashes into another BIOS. Sometimes I get the jagged lines, sometimes I don't. I have done a system restore which sometimes temporary fixes the "screen tearing" but 2-3 minutes later it crashes into BIOS and repeats. I have also tried a system repair and windows diagnostic test to see if it was hardware related but came out with 0 results.

The odd thing is that I have boot it in safe mode and let it idle for over an hour and no crash. Also in safe mode i do not receive any tearing / jagged lines. Which leads me to believe it could be a video card driver issue. PC has a ATI 4850 HD and I uninstalled the ATI driver and simply let windows update the driver so currently it has no ATI driver. This fixed the problem for a few days but the issue keeps coming back! Running out of ideas, any feedback is welcomed.

Thanks.

2. Lance1

Lance1

Hello Thunderthighs and Welcome to TSG!

Please go to C:\Windows and look for the folder minidump. Copy it to the desktop and compress it and upload it here. How To: Click Go Advanced and then scroll down to Manage Attachments

3. Thunderthighs

Hi as requested Lance, here is the minidump compressed.

Attached Files:

4. Lance1

Lance1

Open a run command. (Windows key + R) Type (dxdiag) There will be a green progress bar at the bottom left, wait for it to disappear and then go through the tab to see if any errors are reported. if there are errors, copy the errors and past them in your next post.

Next step, open a run command and type (sfc /scannow) let it run. When it is complete go to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS Compress the (cbs.log) file and upload it here

5. Thunderthighs

Here is the CBS log. Also I could only run dxdiag in safe mode ... and it shows up as n/a for all the fields in the display tab. Should i be doing something else here? I did get a pop up while it was loading dxdiag saying it had some trouble loading the system information and asked if i should bypass it and i clicked no.

Attached Files:

• CBS.rar
      File size:
      142.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Lance1

Lance1

I got the cbs.log. It's late for me, 4am rising is early, so I'm off the bed. I'll take a quick look in the morning, and more in depth after work. I'll respond then.

7. Thunderthighs

No problem appreciate the help. Let me know if you need anything else

8. Lance1

Lance1

The cbs.log file came up clean. You say that in safe mode there are no blue screens. So I'd like you to perform a Clean Startup Let us know if you still have the same issues after doing this.

9. Thunderthighs

So i tried a clean startup and I received no BSOD, however within a few minutes the screen suddenly turns black without any notification... It wouldn't be a bad monitor or anything because as i've stated before I have left it idle for at least an hour in safe mode and it never turned into a black screen or BSOD

10. Lance1

Lance1

After a reboot are you able to access windows? Do you have another card to test with or get your hands on one?

11. Thunderthighs

After a reboot I am able to load windows fine for a few minutes then it does a slight lag then turned into a black screen. I might be able to get my hands on another card. I think i have an old PCI card somewhere

12. Lance1

Lance1

That would be great. It'll help to narrow it down.

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

Could be that the video card is over heating.

Swapping out the video card will tell us alot.

You can use Guru3d's driver sweeper to clean up after you uninstall the current video drivers.
    After uninstalling the drivers in normal mode, boot to safe mode & run driver sweeper.

RF123

14. Thunderthighs

Took your advice before I swap out the video card and used driver sweeper to clean out leftover driver files. Windows boot it fine for 2 idle hours in normal mode *Ino video driver installed* at this point. Downloaded the newest drivers, installed, follow by a reboot. Play a video clip for about 10 minutes and noticed no problems. It might have been bad driver files left over or what not but so far I haven't had any issues... (been about an hour).. Gonna mark this solved unless the problem comes up again.

Thanks for everybody's input, appreciate it.

15. rainforest123

rainforest123

T t :
    Congratulations!

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for marking your thread as solved.

unsubscribed

RF123

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice