1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BSOD STOP: 0x0000007B

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rinzen, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rinzen

Rinzen Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 and am experiencing a problem with re-installing Windows XP Pro. After completing the initial install and setup routine, the PC re-boots to start Windows for the first time I get a BSOD with the following message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C8F524, 0X0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

The research I have done so far has led me to believe that this problem is being caused by an incorrect hard drive controller driver, so I have downloaded the appropriate driver from Dell's website and tried using it (using the F6 key option during the initial windows setup routine), but this does not appear to work. When I select the driver on the floppy disk, the windows setup routine attempts to run windows and the BSOD appears. I have also tried resetting the BIOS options to factory defaults and setting the SATA operation settings to RAID AutoDetect / ATA, but neither have had any effect. I have run Dell diagnostic utilities and the hard drive and memory pass all the tests.

My hardware configuration is as follows:

Dell Dimension 8400
    Intel P4 3GHz
    1GB RAM (2x512)
    250GB SATA HDD
    128MB ATI RADEON x300 SE
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

Does anyone have any ideas what I should try next?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I don't think you would get as far as through the initial install and reboot if the controller and hard drive wasn't recognized.

I'm wondering if you have PCI-e graphics adapter and are you using a pre SP2 version of XP Pro to install with? If so, regardless if there's a controller problem or not, you probably need to slipstream update the installation disc to SP2.

If the install disc was the one that came with the system then the above shouldn't apply unless SP2 was applied net-admin style after the original install by Dell.

3. Rinzen

Rinzen Thread Starter

The installation disc I'm using comes with service pack 2. This disc was recently sent from Dell as the original was either lost or never supplied to me (according to Dell's records).

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

More difficult to diagnose then. If you have a spare IDE drive you might try installing on that controller and possibly narrow the problem down to the SATA controller as you surmised.

5. Rinzen

Rinzen Thread Starter

I contacted Dell and they helped fix the problem. I had to change my SATA operations setting in the BIOS to RAID / ATA, then re-install windows.

Thanks for the help and advice.

6. MattGutberlet

MattGutberlet

I registered on this site just to say thank you for posting your answer. I was facing the exact same issue with my Dimension 8400 and setting the SATA operation mode to RAID / ATA worked for me as well! So, thank you!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/736634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice