1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BSOD when plugging in external hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by LooseEnds1216, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LooseEnds1216

LooseEnds1216 Thread Starter

I've tried plugging in my external hard drive (a WD Passport 1 Tera) USB to access picture files... my laptop (Windows Vista) went to a blue screen and shut itself down. Here is some info it gave me after it restarted...

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 24
    BCP1: 001904AA
    BCP2: 8BB4F3E4
    BCP3: 8BB4F0E0
    BCP4: 8B024689
    OS Version: 6_0_6002
    Service Pack: 2_0
    Product: 768_1

I'm wondering if I did something wrong when I disconnected the external hard drive from our new Seagate wireless backup system. I had no idea how to "safely" or "properly" remove it... so I just disconnected the USB cable.

Any ideas?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you ever used the drive on that laptop before?

Battery or AC?

3. LooseEnds1216

Yes... I've used it on this computer many times before. AC.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is there another machine that you can connect it to so that you can run chkdsk on it? An improper removal could have damaged the file system (yes, I know, and I wouldn't know how to properly remove it, either, except to shut off the power). I had one machine that did the same thing when the file system was damaged. It seems that it is far too sensitive, but it's not the first time I have heard of it happening.

5. LooseEnds1216

My husband tried plugging it into his computer... worked just fine. Then I tried it again in mine, and no blue screen! Not sure what was wrong, but it seemed to have fixed itself. Thanks for your help!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good luck.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1042878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice