Solved: Bsod

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dormouse

Hi,
On returning to my PC (XP Home Retail) I found a number of overlapping error mini-windows all saying that unspecified programs were trying to access memory at locations which didn't exist. I cleared the messages and rebooted. I got a BSOD with a message saying that if this was the first tome I might like to reboot. This lead to another BSOD which said that there was a registry error and I could try Safe Mode. That lead to another BSOD and a core dump. I decided to see if the system CD would repair any damage and was offered a repair on the second screen (First screen asks you for an installation - second notices the previous one). This didn't work (it froze) so I tried again. This time there was no offer of repair. I cancelled as I didn't want a full installation.

The boot.ini includes a recovery console. I decided to try a chkdsk with that. Still no go - chkdsk comes up with a shedload of errors but no fix.. Fixmbr gives dire warnings of loss of all data.
At this stage all I'm being offered is a full installation (with my system CD), but I'm worried that it will remove all the data on the XP disk.

FWIW I recently changed the motherboard and used the system CD to do a repair - which seemed to work fine.

I have put the XP HD as a slave on a puppylinux system and I can see the vast majority of the files on it (but not the System32 or System folders). I suppose I could back up all the files on the XP HD, to another HD before doing a full installation. It's a pain because I'll have to download SP3 and other MS updates. Is there any way I can restore this windows HD without a full new installation?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the MOBO was exactly the same make, model, you are legal. If it was a different MOBO, its a can of worms.

Thats all I have to say on this. So anyone else can jump in.

dormouse

I know I'm legal. I paid extra for the retail version just in case I might need to do an upgrade at some time - motherboard, CPU, etc. In this case the original motherboard died. If it was an OEM version I would not have been able to make the change.

dormouse

As there is no help - only one ill-informed reply - I am marking this as solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online