1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bsod

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TeoDeCool, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TeoDeCool

TeoDeCool Thread Starter

Hi guys!

Lately some bsod's occured when i play games.I really dont know what it is.My system is way above the recomanded sys req.

Anyway,i will atach two of my recent bsod's,as well as my system specifications.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1022 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 35038 MB, Free - 19622 MB; D: Total - 129862 MB, Free - 82311 MB; E: Total - 140332 MB, Free - 97556 MB;
    Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group, P4M90-M7A
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Please tell me what the games are you are trying to use.

You have not attached the BSOD files, please do so. When done correctly you will be able to see them in the left corner of your post after posting.

The files must be in a .zip folder for you to be able to send them.

• Below the Message Box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button, Manage Attachments. Click on that and a new window opens.
    • Click on the Browse button, find the zip folder you made earlier and click on it so it becomes highlighted and click on Open.
    • Now click on the Upload button. Wait for the Upload to complete, it will appear just below the Browse box.
    • When done, click on the Close this window button at the top of the page.
    • Enter your message-text in the message box, then click on Submit Message/Reply.

3. TeoDeCool

TeoDeCool Thread Starter

rome total war,age of empires 2 ,age of mythology,fifa 08.

Sorry about that,i thought i attached them.

Attached Files:

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

No problem, the two crash dumps give completely different causes, one names a driver from Avast Anti Virus and the other names a USB Audio driver which is from Microsoft.

The two error codes have two possible causes in common, a driver or faulty memory. In view of this I would suggest a test on your memory to be sure it is ok.

It may also help me to help you if you could post about 6 more of your recent crash dumps so I can see if there is a common cause that repeats.

Please read all the instructions before starting.

IMPORTANT
    Always disconnect your PC from the mains supply when removing Ram sticks and earth your hands to discharge any static electricity to avoid damage to sensitive components. If performing this test on a laptop PC you should also remove the battery before removing or replacing the RAM sticks.

Preliminary checks
    For a new build: You should first check the model of RAM stick that you have on the manufacturers site for the recommended voltage setting and then make sure it is set correctly in the PC's Bios. An incorrect voltage setting may be the reason for your problems so test the PC's performance again if the voltage was incorrect.

For older PC's: Errors can also be caused by dirty contacts: Remove all the sticks and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and blow out the slots with a can of compressed air.

If the error you are experiencing is frequent, or you are unable to boot the PC without a crash occuring, you could first try removing all but one of your RAM sticks. Then boot up the PC and see if the problem persists. If it does, shut down the PC and swap the sticks around and try again, repeat this untill all sticks have been tried. If the error only occurs with one particular stick then there is no need to continue with the tests simply get the stick replaced with an exact match. (Ask for guidance if required).

Download Memtest86+ from here
    If you wish to run the test from a USB flash drive use this link Auto installer for USB key
    When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
    For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
    Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file you have downloaded. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Testing

• Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence.
    • Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.
    • Leave the test to run through at least 8 passes or until it is showing some errors.
    • If errors show in the test, stop the test and remove all but one of your RAM sticks then start the test again. Repeat the test on each stick until you find the one that is faulty.

NOTE: This is a long slow test and for convenience should ideally be run overnight.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

5. TeoDeCool

TeoDeCool Thread Starter

I dont think that memtest would help.My computer had 2gb of ram but i reduced it to 1 gb due to stick corruption,but i will test it again-maybe it's my motherboard.
    Since yesterday,no more crashes occured.In my usb slots i have my keyboard,my webcam and my controller.And all drivers are up to date(according to driver genius 12).I ran a DST HDD test from seagate and it failed.Do you know what it means?

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

DST stands for Drive Self Test and if it fails that then your drive is most probably developing bad sectors, i.e. it is wearing out and should be replaced. A failing hard drive could also be the cause of your system crashes as it could be corrupting data. As a precaution I would recommend you back up all your important data to an external source.

You will find a full explanation of what Seatools does here: Seatools instructions

I would recommend you run the Long Test to get a clearer picture of the state of the drive, it may offer the option to repair the bad sectors if any are found but this will only work on Seagate drives.

7. TeoDeCool

TeoDeCool Thread Starter

Unfortunetly,I have a SAMSUNG HDD.Don't you know a universal soft or anything that will work with my samsung?

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

As Seagate acquired Samsung you may find it will work ok. Seatools will run on any make of drive but the instructions indicate it will only do repairs on Seagate drives, at least if you run it you will be able to see what condition the drive is in.

Please let me know what it finds.

9. TeoDeCool

TeoDeCool Thread Starter

Hi! Sorry for long pause,but i've had to study for a very important exam.

Anyways,i performed both of Seagate's tests.The long one failed with 1 error:(.I looked at "What to do if you have BAD sectors" thing in the help menu.Iam pretty sure i have all my data back-uped,but i am not sure how to replace the bad sector.Can you help me please? :D

Also,here are more Minidump files.

Attached Files:

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Four of the crash dumps indicate a problem with Avast Anti Virus, so we need to eliminate it as the cause by replacing it with a different Anti Virus.

Please first run a disk check as you clearly have bad sectors, this will mark any bad sectors so they are no longer used. You cannot replace a bad sector as it is simply due the the drive surface starting to wear out and more are likely to develop in time. Replacing the hard drive is the only way to completely cure the problem but using the disk check should keep it going for a while.

• Click on Start then Run and type cmd in the search box and hit Enter. At the C: prompt, type chkdsk /r exactly as written here with the gap before the slash, then hit Enter.
    • You will then see a message "Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"
    • Type Y for yes, and hit Enter. Then reboot the computer. The disc check will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The disc check process may take an hour or more to finish and may appear to freeze which is normal.)
    • When the disc check is done, it will finish loading Windows.
    • When finished click on Start then Run and type: eventvwr.msc and hit Enter.
    • When Event Viewer opens, click on Application in the left pane. In the main pane scroll down until you find Winlogon under the Source column and double-click on it.
    • This is the log created after running the disc check. Click once on the Copy button [​IMG]
    • Come back here and right click on the message box, select Paste from the pop up menu and the log will appear. Then submit the post.

==========================================================

Next download these two items and save them to your desktop.

Avast removal tool
    Microsoft Security Essentials

Disconnect your system from the internet and uninstall Avast, then run the Avast removal tool and install MSE and reconnect to the internet.

Run MSE and let it update, then run a Full system scan with it and delete anything it finds and report back with the details.

11. TeoDeCool

TeoDeCool Thread Starter

Here is the chkdsk report:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Winlogon
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1001
    Date: 15.02.2013
    Time: 20:52:03
    User: N/A
    Computer: COMPUTER-4438
    Description:
    Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.
    Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
    Cleaning up 79 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 79 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 79 unused security descriptors.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    Free space verification is complete.

35879728 KB total disk space.
    19996528 KB in 40564 files.
    13508 KB in 6456 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    170316 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    15699376 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    8969932 total allocation units on disk.
    3924844 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    70 01 01 00 b8 b7 00 00 2b 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 p.......+.......
    12 01 00 00 04 00 00 00 c8 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    9a 34 e2 03 00 00 00 00 7e 21 2c 0c 00 00 00 00 .4......~!,.....
    b8 e6 79 05 00 00 00 00 c8 09 ae 2e 01 00 00 00 ..y.............
    d2 72 5b 82 00 00 00 00 2e 36 58 c9 01 00 00 00 .r[......6X.....
    20 20 4a 6b 00 00 00 00 b0 3a 07 00 74 9e 00 00 Jk.....:..t...
    00 00 00 00 00 c0 7d c4 04 00 00 00 38 19 00 00 ......}.....8...

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

Check disc log looks fine and if there are bad sectors they are not showing, see how things go after replacing the Anti Virus. Post any more crash dumps that you get.

13. TeoDeCool

TeoDeCool Thread Starter

So,i succesfully uninstalled avast! and instaled MSE.I did a full scan and found 2 potentially harmfull software.I deleted them.of course.Now i'm waiting to see if more bsod' occur .

14. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, while waiting to see if any more BSOD's occur could you post the log from MSE so I can see what was removed.

• Click on Start then Run and type eventvwr.msc into the search box and hit Enter.
    • Click on System in the left hand pane.
    • Scroll down the list under the heading Source and find Microsoft Antimalware with the date that corresponds to the scan you did.
    • Double click on the entry and the Event Properties window will open.
    • Click on this [​IMG] button and then close the windows.
    • Come back to this thread and right click on the message box, select Paste and the log will appear, then submit the post.

15. TeoDeCool

TeoDeCool Thread Starter

Unfortunetly,my computer crashed so hard it wouldn't even boot into windows.I reinstalled it,and upgraded to win7(i know it doesn't fit in the XP category,but i have a feeling i will go back to xp soon)after that i barely installed any drivers, due to corruption(i dont know wtf why,i redonwloaded them like 10 times)and my screen flashes almost every 10 minutes.

I cant post any bsod because acces it's denied(i cant copress them)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice