1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bsod

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by david_m_15, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. david_m_15

david_m_15 Thread Starter

I don't know how to analyse a dump file properly so I'll attach it to this post. The problem I am having is that when running a game, at some random point in time, the computer will crash. Specifically, the display goes all weird (random colours and shapes everywhere, but can still sort of see the game), then after about 2 seconds the blue screen comes up.
    I can't read the blue screen error because there are some horizontal distortion lines on the display. I have the dump files though, for the first and second time I got the blue screens.
    I did take a look at the dump file with windbg and it says that the crash was probably caused by "nvlddmkm.sys". I have no idea what this is.

Computer specs:
    OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560ti
    RAM: G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600MHZ PC3-12800 CL9(8GBXL)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO Socket 1155 Intel Z68 Chipset

Not sure what other info you need, just let me know.

Attached Files:

2. david_m_15

Second dump file.

Attached Files:

3. david_m_15

It happened again, this time the weird lines stayed on the screen and windows disabled the graphics card. I restarted the computer and it was happening even during the boot up stage of the computer (in the "DOS" looking part as well). I was able to get into windows so I took a quick video of what it looks like: /watch?v=HiDJ9VpFFW8. That's just a youtube video, so add the youtube part to the front of the link. I'm not sure if I can link other websites on this forum but here is the full link anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiDJ9VpFFW8.

4. david_m_15

Some more footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh95zNyoUoY
    I didn't catch it, but at the very start of the bootup, random characters would appear on the screen in random spots, all different colours with different coloured backgrounds for groups of characters (think I saw some red, blue and grey).

5. david_m_15

The weird characters thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIlTvzkI9mc
    Forgot to mention that sometimes the problem occurs but the computer doesn't crash, and then suddenly it goes back to normal. Windows gives me a popup saying that the graphics driver had stopped responding but then recovered.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That looks to me like bad drivers or memory in the card.
    Are the Nvidia drivers up to date?
    If you are over-clocking the card turn it down.

7. david_m_15

I updated the display drivers to version 350.12 in between the second crash and the videos I uploaded, it clearly had no effect. I also ticked "clean install". The card is not being over-clocked. I downloaded a program called TechPowerUp GPU-Z to monitor the temperature. While the problem was happening the card was between 42 and 47 degrees. I don't know if that's hot or not.

8. DaveBurnett

Get a program to test the GPU memory on te card.
    Also it won't hurt to test your main memory with MEMTEST
    I'm not saying that they are faulty, but let's rule them out.

9. david_m_15

What program would I use to test the GPU memory?
    I'll run the MEMTEST today.

Edit: Attached memtest results
    Edit 2: Attached Video Memory stress Test (program called VMT)

Attached Files:

10. david_m_15

I tried testing out a game today, to see if the problem magically fixed itself. As you can see in the video, as I had the game running, the GPU temperature kept rising until about 90 degrees. The fan started making a weird sound that slowly went away after I closed the game and the temperature went down. I'm assuming that this has something to do with how the graphics card (or software) controls the fan.

It shouldn't matter though, because I haven't changed anything in my setup, I haven't moved the computer or broken anything, and I've cleared out as much dust as possible. I've tried changing the power supply plugs that go to the graphics card, that didn't affect the problem when it was occurring yesterday. I'm trying to provide as much information as possible here, I'm just hoping someone else has had the same problem and can determine what I need to do to fix it.

It's still making that sound and I'm kind of afraid to load any games up in case I start having blue screens and stuff again.

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_6XgvzhuIw

Edit: The sound in the background is not a vacuum cleaner, it's my computer!
    Edit 2: Did some more testing on a game that is not as graphics intensive. The card was running at about 60 degrees only, (didn't catch the GPU load%). I got the squares all over the screen problem again, for about 3 seconds, then the screen briefly went blank and returned to normal. I got the popup in the system tray from windows saying my graphics driver had stopped responding and has recovered. So I think that is evidence that the weird blue screen stuff is not related to overheating because the card was at only 60 degrees.

11. david_m_15

Is there anybody out there?

12. david_m_15

Hasn't happened for close to 2 weeks, until today. Now I've got green lines all over the screen and it persists through restarts, and during the boot up. I can't even get it to go back to normal and load into windows, only safe mode. It just has the same blue screen and resets.

I'm finding it hard to believe that no one in this entire forum community has ever encountered this problem.

13. david_m_15

Ended up taking it back to where I bought it, indeed the card was "dead". Solution was to replace the card, and my case (since it is missing a side piece and half the fans don't work). This could have contributed to the card failing, as I live in a humid area. Moisture and dust could easily enter my case and cause corrosion on the parts.
    Thanks a lot for your immense effort Tech Support Guys, you really helped me solve my problem.
    Solved.

14. DaveBurnett

You're welcome!! There is not much the forum can do to fix faulty hardware other that suggest it AS I DID.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice