1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Building a computer on a low budget, help? (:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cymru_ddraig, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cymru_ddraig

cymru_ddraig Thread Starter

So, it's my birthday and Christmas coming up soon and I need a new computer. I've added up all the spare money I'll have after I buy what else I need; and it comes to about £250, or $400.

I've looked around for parts to build a computer and these are what I've come up with:-

Motherboard / Processor: Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Motherboard & AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core Processor Bundle - $179.99
    RAM: PNY XLR8 Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory - $49.99
    HDD:Hitachi Deskstar 500GB Serial ATA/300 - $49.99
    Case: Power Up Black Corporate ATX Mid-Tower Case w/ 450-Watt Power Supply - $39.99
    Graphics: XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Video Card - $74.97

It all adds up to just less than $400, I was just wondering; would this work (if not, what else do I need)? How good would it be for gaming? And finally, is there any equal parts (in respect of performance) for less, or better parts for the same/lower price?

I know I'm asking a lot, but I've only done upgrades to other computers, and I'm working on a budget. Any help would be great. :) Thanks.

2. Help1inghand

Help1inghand

HEY cymru

That seems like a pretty good system for the budget. But just a few things

1. It may just be me, but I have not found hitachi very reliable in the past. I would deff go for a Western Digital or Seagate

2. What sort of games are you into/do you want to play?

3. cymru_ddraig

Thanks for replying helpinghand.

1) How about this one?

2) Not very intensive games, I recently got a few old-ish games like AoE3, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, and a few others. I need to play them with minimal graphics and I still receive bad play. I'd also be using it to play RuneScape (sad, I know :p), but I'd also have a movie, or some music running too. :)

4. Help1inghand

Help1inghand

Thats a better hard drive :)

but did you know you can get 750s and 1TBs for not that much more... its up to you though :D

that system will be absolutely fine to run those games you listed on.

The reason I asked was because games like Crysis and GTA IV may struggle a little on that graphics card

enjoy your new system ;)

5. cymru_ddraig

I'll look about upgrading if I get more money spare, have to pay for a CBT, license and a moped, which'll be about £1600 too. o:

Thanks for your help, Helpinghand :)

6. Help1inghand

Help1inghand

No problem
    I may have slightly misslead you... The games you listed with have absolutely NO PROBLEM WHAT SO EVER running on that graphics card. RCT3 will run on high no problem! So if you dont plan to be playing stuff like Crysis and GTA IV, you are fine.

Tom

7. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

You dont say which country you are in. I assumed it was UK, westwards <g> from the name ( although I am not quite sure of the exact translation- dragon of Wales I guess is closest) but all the items are US. If you are UK, need a rethink- postage is high and there are better deals here.
    Nos da :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/884153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice